
Here is the link to part 1 of Life, Love and Dancing.
Here is the link to part 2 of Life, Love and Dancing.
I will try to post sections each Tuesday - last week's holiday threw my schedule off a bit, so forgive me and Enjoy part 3:
"Want a drink?" He looked down at me with those intoxicating eyes.
I stopped swirling enough to answer, "No thanks. I've reached my limit. I could use a glass of water, though."
He smiled, nodded, got up and stepped to the bar.
I leaned my head back against the leather and scanned the crowd. My vanilla skin toned friend walked around to help clear tables. He was always considerate and professional. I have watched many give similar types of parties and they could careless that empty glasses stacked up. I guess that most reasoned that it was the wait-staff's responsibility.
Paul returned with my water and his own glass of brown liquid. We tapped glasses before we took sips.
"So, I carry myself like someone from the Bible?" He referred back to my earlier comment.
"Yea, something about you. Some would say you have an old soul."
He chuckled, "I've heard that before. I wanted to say something to you earlier but didn't want to disrespect your people."
I glanced around at "my people". My chocolate friend was bopping his head to the grooves with his eyes closed and a beer bottle in his hand. My vanilla toned friend was talking to the female bartender.
"They're cool. Malcolm, the light skinned one and I have known each other for over ten years from back in DC. I just met his cousin, Tre when we bumped into each other again here two years ago." I decided not to tell him that Malcolm is married. If Paul is in my life long enough, he'll find out all the specifics he needs to know.
"Huh, a DC girl. How you like New York?"
"I love it. I have the best of both worlds now."
"How's that?"
"I was raised in the best city to grow up Black, now I live in the best city to be creative. What about you, where you from?"
"Right here, baby." Paul's dark eyes sparkled. Because of his soft inflection, I wasn't sure if Paul meant baby as an endearing term for me already or if he was simply ending that sentence as most native New Yorkers do.
"Where's your family from?" I have learned in my few years as a New Yorker that most New York residents have strong ties to other countries, no matter how many generations have lived on The New York soil. Paul was clearly a Latino Brother. I also have learned to never assume which Hispanic region one is from if you detect Hispanic origin.
"Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. And your family?"
"DC and Virginia. No, I'm not Puerto Rican, as most think I am."
"Yes, I also thought that. What is your family's cultural background?"
I smiled as I wondered if he spoke so proper and formal sounding all of the time, "Negras Americanas." I attempted in my bit of rusty Spanish. I have trained myself to say Black American or African American proudly. Here in the city of a million cultures I initially would answer "Just African American." or "Just Black." Surrounded by so many cultures I felt as if I were not exotic enough. Paul's smile widened and I further explained. "Yep, I'm a descendant of the great American slave. I have the same mix as you, but my European ancestors didn't speak Spanish."
Malcolm walked by and I seized the opportunity to introduce them. Paul half-way stood as they slapped palms and entwisted fingers then he returned to his sitting position as their hands slid apart.
I stifled a yawn. Paul noticed, "Tired?"
I grinned at him sheepishly, "Yes, it's way past my bedtime. I need to head home."
"Well, let me go to the men's room then I'll walk you out."
"Gracia-" I smiled up at him as he rose from his seat.
I leaned over to Malcolm who had returned to our corner vantage point, "What time is it?"
He checked his PDA, "Almost Three."
"Good Lawd. I need to get home."
"You gonna be alright?"
"Yea, Paul's gonna walk me to my car. I'll text you as soon as I get home safely, alone."
Malcolm laughed, "You're grown. Full grown."
"Yea, I know and this is still New York. Land of the crazies."
I noticed Paul standing near the bar waiting as I said my good byes. I waved into the smoker's room to the regulars, hugged the DJ, Tre and Malcolm before joining Paul to exit.
*click on image for its source.
Saturday, July 7, 2007
Life, Love, Dancing...an excerpt - pt 3
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 7/07/2007
Labels: art by cap, dancing, love, short story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 Comments:
As I've said before, your characters have a great conversational flow. By the way, did I ever send back my notes on the pages you sent me?
thanx for the love, Ced!
I'm with cred the conversation flow I envy in my writing... what's with the colored people? Is their an unlined racial tension or was it suppose to play on the reader's subconscious?
if it plays on your subconscious that's u, andrew. i'm just describing people and their skin tones...u have a better way to describe people:-)? glad u like the conversational flow...
Andrew, you're walking into alien territory, my good man. You might just get an education in how WE use color in description vs. the way Anglos use the same. TRUST--there IS OFTEN a difference. Once I have time to find some literary references, I may just build a blog post on the subject.
fabulous as always cap! love, love, love it! :P
thanx, Li$a! :-)
I'm loving this set. Looking forward to the next installment.
& i love that U love it, Bro G:-)
This is cool. It's good to see you spreading your writing wings. I'm going to have to join this party y'all have started, I need to work out some kinks.
Welcome TO the party, Bro Rich! This simply started as an exercise to see if I could describe what i saw. Then several readers "demanded" more and I couldn't disappoint my Family;-)
put is some hott stuff in your stories
sex sells u no
Post a Comment