
Last week I was moved to post part 1 of Life, Love and Dancing. I will try to post sections each Tuesday.
Here is Part 2, Enjoy:
After dancing that set, I went to the ladies room. Sometimes, I simply need to step away from the noise and look closely in a mirror, so as not to lose myself in the seduction of the night. I returned and was surprised to find him standing next to his seat, dancing. He chose to dance without a partner. I walked to rejoin my friends in our corner spot where we could watch everyone who came and went. I glanced his way periodically, wondering to myself what I found fascinating about him. Maybe I was intrigued by the fact that he seemed to simply appear. His caramel skin tone was inviting, but he was thicker than most men I engaged with. He moved moderately, in what some would describe as a two-step, but I could see that his two-step was anything but simple. I sensed that the brother could work it on the dance floor.
I didn't ponder it for long when the DJ changed gears, mixed in old school hip-hop and kicked the party up a notch. Almost everyone squeeze onto the dance floor. I turned toward him in hopes that he would accept my nonverbal invitation to join me on the dance floor. He complied teasingly; he smiled and took a couple of steps toward me then hesitated. I took a step toward him, but did not want to leave the dance area away from the safe energy of the group. He slid smoothly into place beside me. It was clear he had perfected B-Boy moves, but he was adaptable enough to temper them in this setting. I love a man who has the ability to "break" or lock, along with the discernment of when not to take it "over the top". I smiled inside and out. We sensed each other's rhythms and moved in sync. He smiled down at me and my eyes glowed back at him.
We danced closer.
"What's your name?"
"Cameron. Yours? Wait, let me guess. I bet it's biblical."
He smiled and nodded, "How did you guess?"
"I don't know. Just something about the way you carry yourself. You look like an Emmanuel."
He shook his head, "Paul."
"Paul? Hmm, that sounds too simple for you. You look like your name would be more exciting."
He chuckled and his eyes sparkled down at me.
There was something about his dark eyes surrounded by those long lashes looking down at me that made my insides swirl with delight.
One of the party regulars came out of the smoker's room and proceeded to take it "over the top". I love the fact that in New York City one can never ever tell by looking at an individual, what to expect. The party regular is a non-descript white guy, who is probably in his mid-twenties and approximately 5'10". He always comes to the parties in fairly conservative, possibly tailored attire of slacks and a buttoned down shirt. We all moved to encircle him as he began to break dance in full force. Laughing, my dance partner and I moved back to sit on the leather bench and enjoy the rest of the show, while the crowd hooted, howled and encouraged the regular to work it. The dancer took all of his spectators by surprise when he hopped up, did a complete and true B-boy flip that ended with the loud slam of his feet and him on his back. He popped back up; the crowd cheered and went nuts over the fact that he was able to pull that off in such a tiny space. As the dancer bopped around the lounge smacking the hands of encouragers, the rest of us raised brows, laughed and slapped fives over his incredible antics, as well.
*Click photo for its source.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Life, Love, Dancing: an excerpt in progress, pt. 2
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 6/26/2007
Labels: art by cap, dancing, love, party, short story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 Comments:
I dig the way that you set the scene in so few words. Did I read Part 1?
intrigued by your story. When's the next installment?
Ced - did u see the link for part 1 at the top? glad u like the setting - it's what i'm practicing, now:-)
Bro G - my apologies for making u wait - i've been travelling...it'll be up soon.
Part 2 is good too
Post a Comment