I'm delighted that the "media" is drawing attention to this man with the movie Talk to Me. I know many who did NOT grow up in The District during his time will not understand our (native Washingtonian) affinity...but U don't need to understand. Just KNOW that WE Love Petey Greene! I'm going to see the movie at some point - but hope Hollyweird doesn't screw his image up completely. I hope they portray that he was a driving force in our city. I'm delighted that Petey's female side-kick is being portrayed by a native of the area (Taraji P. Henson), though she may be too young to have much memory of or appreciation for Petey.
*Warning: All negative comments about him WILL be deleted & you all know I don't usually care - but I will NOT tolerate ya bad mouthin' my Man, Petey! Get beyond his "colloquialisms" and actually listen to the wisdom this man kicks! Most have only viewed his watermelon eating clip & even THAT is filled with pearls of wisdom. Sadly, according to Don Cheadle's interview, few of his shows were archived. Too bad we as children did not know we should have been video taping this sage street philosopher. Though I'm not a huge fan of TV, I am thankful that I have memories of sitting around with my family enjoying Petey Greene's show! Ha! It WAS Petey Greene's Washington! So, "sit back, relax, put ya foots up on the hassock" and enjoy a mere taste of history;-)
Monday, July 30, 2007
I love Petey Greene!
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 7/30/2007
Labels: Black men, blessings, don cheadle, petey green, precious memories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 Comments:
I don't even know who he is. LOL. SMH.
dig that......
I am going to see the movie.
~ u not from DC, Shai - check the movie THEN u'll know him.
~ let me know what U think after u see it, Sistah Deep:-)
I saw the movie this weekend and it was PHENOMINAL!!!! I so enjoyed it. Don gave a flawless depiction of this man! I WILL purchase it when it comes out.
I have heard nothing but absolutely great things about this brotha.
I too will go to see the movie and hope that it does him justice.
have a great week.
nice post
wow... I've actually heard of this guy and about the movie, but never really knew what things were all about, so thanks so much for sharing.
"somebody gave me a chance and God gave me a talent"...well said! makes me look forward to the movie! :P
The man is cold! I'm still laughing at the quip about hiring the "homo-SEX-ual with all the right CREdentials" to work around little kids--sounds like San Diego County to me! Check the National Sex Offender Registry to see how many live here! Crazy!
The trailers for the movie have me nearly as excited to see it as I am to hear a new Common project (release 31July...call it a plug if you must!)! Don Cheadle is an actor's actor, and your man Petey seems to be a serious cat to imitate! It has to be a great movie!
What ever, I am going to look for the movie !!
I must admit that I've never heard of the brother but I am mad interested in hearing his story. Your endorsement solidifies it.
Great post. Never heard of him until the watermelon post, but I was sold on the movie then.
America does hustle backwards. Like why do POOR people pay the highest interest rates. They say it's because they are a greater credit risk THEN why not give them terms they can live with rather than plunder them and make them a worse credit risk. --- I have to do the Shai on that - SMH!
Glad you all appreciate this post (whew:-)! I'm looking forward to the movie, now, too.
PS - As I return to the work force, I'm training my brain to accept the backwardness of this society's hustle. I'll ignore the fact that others being paid more than I am & even "supervising" me will have more "credentials" on paper - but often have glaring personality GLITCHES. Time to practice my breathing. LOL!
Thanx Petey for reminding me not to take this ish too seriously!
I'll say it to the hot, I'll say it to the cold. I'll tell it to the young, I'll tell it to the old. I don't want no laughin', don't want no cryin', and most of all, no signifyin'....cuz this is Petey Green's Washington yall!!!
As always, beautiful post kindred Queen!
I first saw the two YouTube clips of Petey Greene after I went to see the movie, and I was floored - of course, it is easy to get caught up in the craziness of the "watermelon" clip to really catch what he's saying. I really need to get my hands on the "autobiography" that is out there of his.
I found your blog today via plezWorld and am enjoying it. Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment