
I've been quietly observing the blogs and internet attention of the six young men being unjustly charged in Jena, Louisiana. The Jena 6 is another painful reminder to me of the historical struggle of my people here in the "United" States. I get so frustrated because similar incidents happen too often! I've also felt I wanted to DO more than sign petitions and can't afford to send donations to every cause that I feel strongly about. Besides, sending money doesn't really give me a sense that I've done anything. I happened to be in my car during the Michael Baisden show when he played this song dedicated to the Jena Six (by Jasiri X) and announced that on Thursday, Sept. 20th we should all wear Black in support of the Jena Six. Now, wearing Black (and "dressing" my blog in Black) gives me something to DO, especially since I am unable to attend the rally in Jena on Thursday.
Can you imagine an entire nation in BLACK on the same day? I'm looking forward to it.Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts.
My prayers go out to all of my people who have been and continue to be treated unjustly by this "United" States "justice" system.
~ Aristotle
Click to read more about the Jena 6.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Wednesday Wisdom - Jena Six Dedication
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 9/19/2007
Labels: Black men, promoting another artist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 Comments:
I got an email a few days ago about that so I too will be wearing Black on Thursday to show my support.
Great of you to further spread the word Cap. :-)
Hope you Have a Great Day my sistah!!
I have been trying to keep up with the events of this story. It frustrates me that something this clearly unfair can still happen in this day and age. It outrages me. I wish there was something significant I can do besides simply wearing black (which I will do. I feel so helpless.
okay, I will do my best to find some black. What else can I do?
I was glad to read that some of that foolishness has been thrown out or reduced. The day when we can throw ALL of that foolishness out will be a day to celebrate.
I'll wear some black that day and I will pass along the story which has gotten little to no coverage here in the Northeast. (I Googled Jena 6 and read about 10 articles on the case.)
I can't say that I condone violence of any kind including the beating of the white boy, but I can't say with a clear conscience that I wouldn't have done the same (I've done worse for less, we beat up people who wore orange on Saint Patty's Day because Orange symbolizes the Orange Order which marches through Catholic Belfast neighborhood's each summer to commemorate William of Oranges slaughter of the Irish 400 years ago. This is the cause of many of the riots in Northern Ireland during the past 40 years) I might actually kill if I were Black and saw nooses hanging in my or my childrens school yard.
I grew up in Boston during the early 70's when there was forced busing and the desegregation of schools. I don't agree with desegregation per say, but what the fuck is it with all the white kids hang here and all the black kids hang here? A white tree? Black bleachers? WTF!!!!
Its 2007 and this shit is still an issue!?!
My mother in law lives in Mississippi and segregation is alive and well. Its fucked up, but its the way everyone likes it Black and White alike.
We should take some of that 10 billion per month we are spending on the war and we should have an empathic cirriculum developed in all public schools which focuses on the struggles of every group that has come to the US, then exercise some good old American propoganda and emphasise that we are all Americans and not a country of separate, but equal people. We all live here and breathe the same air and watch the same shitty TV and eat the same crappy food which causes us to access the same dreadful health care and should focus on togetherness and the future of the good ol' USA.
I just erased three more paragraphs because I realized that this was becoming a post not a comment.
I applaud you Sis! This, along with many injustices have plagued my mind, and weighed down my spirit, but i know the trooper that i am will always rise to the occassion, BLACK it is, and support without asking.
There is no variety of issues in my mind. It's all one struggle, and it belongs to US. It does my heart good to know one more soldier has taken up the call.
One love.
Aristotle was paraphrased by Shaq who said "“Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do.”
Free the Jena 6--that's my prayer; that's my comment.
Ditto ced!
As far as the Aristotle quote...my take...your words may sound good, but we're defined by our actions! We can complain & talk about it til we're blue in the face, but nothing will change til we do something about it!
Very appropriate
I have a board meeting tomorrow so I plan to look so fly in my black, straight reppin just so some of my board members (who may not be aware/care of/about the Jenna 6) can ask why I am I so fly (they'll say dressed up) and I'll enlighten them about Jenna 6 and a myriad of other cases that highlight the injustices of the system.
im a warrior scholar/dogon priest on bail. I just wana have a sit down with the DA and judge for a few
ms. B - i'm doing what i can, sis! doin' what I can...
diva - i feel helpless to, but it's an action at least ... and a visible action if everybody does it!
gc - i added the link that i hope was helpful to ya!
bro g - AMEN to that! u know any good scriptures for a time like this?
cuzin sullivan - Post ON! i'm not condoning school fights either - but when did they warrant adult criminal CHARGES!? thanx for your tirade;-).
miz - thanx for all your support alWAYS!
dave j - u're right - it's all branches of the same evil & gnarled tree ... reminds me that Strange Fruit was actually written by a Jewish guy...
o.n. - too bad shaq can only practice what he preaches on the courts...but that's another 'post'...
ced - u KNOW it!
kiki - thanx! yea sis, that quote jumped out at me.
soumynona - u GO, Solja!
T.Dawg - I wish u COULD talk some sense into the many unjust "authorities".
i'm with you girl...black it is! it's such a sad statement of our country, of our people, that we allow these kinds of treatment to continue. thanks for the post!
You know it's funny, we are your neighbors up North (Canada) and it seems that its just as big an issued here.
The kids (my nephew is grade 7, and his teacher is black) is very interested and has been looking up things online and where ever he can pick it up. He is a trooper and called us all to let us know that we should wear black Tomorrow.
Just to see what he would say, I questioned him and told that that didn't concern us, and he politely told me that as long as I am black, we are all one nation.
I was so proud, of my little activist.
Anyway...
We here are praying for their freedom as well.
YEAH, this thing is a mess...that's about all I can say. Oh, I'm feeling the new look.
What a travesty of justice and equal rights at the very heart of the great USA, the Big Brother country that dictates who and what is right in international affairs. Just like when it invaded Iraq to destroy huge stockpiles of weapons of mass destructions only to find none. The irony of it is, who's got the biggest stockpile of weapons of nuclear and mass annihilation? Talk about the height of hypocrisy. Abe Lincoln and Martin Luther King must be turning in their graves to see the very cause they died for would be trampled by these events. I commiserate with your cause. Count me in. God bless and have a nice day.
Li$a - thanx, Girl. hopefully, this blog-world will have a positive impact.
Gurl - I'm lovin' your li'l activist nephew! Stories like that give me hope:-)
JMW - keep prayin', Sis! My blog is "wearing" black in support of Jena 6. I may keep it "on" - because there are so many causes to mourn...
Mel - thank U! your insight & compassion is such a welcome balm. This nation is an embarrassment on so many levels. I agree our fore parents who died for justice are doing anything but resting in peace...
Post a Comment