Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How would U feel?

The logical side of my brain says, "Let it go." And for the most part, I think I have. But, every so often, like a passing bad scent, a memory is evoked that "calls up" this unpleasant experience.

This is a true story. If you were on this trip and are reading this I hope you can understand just how hurt I was behind this. I'm not writing about this to call anyone out, but to get it out of me - hopefully, once and for all. I tend to be Happy Go Lucky, but on those rare occasions when my feelings
do get hurt I am more puzzled than anything.

About four or five years ago some friends and I planned this fabulous trip to Jamaica! We were fairly frequent visitors of the island because it is so beautiful and not too expensive (at least, those were my reasons;-). We became comfortable ignoring the pleas to braid our hair, purchase ganja, or any number of items being forcefully sold, so we could really enjoy the sun, beaches, food, and wonderful people. But, what made this particular trip fabulous is the fact that it was our first trip back to Jamaica since I'd moved to NYC, so we were going to meet at our resort. That minor fact, made me feel extra grown and sexy! I had visions of me as Angela Bassett/Stella;-). We were even treating ourselves and staying at one of the newest and highly acclaimed resorts completed in MoBay that year!

Generally, I like to make my own travel plans, but one of our girls assured me that her travel agent could handle it. The flight was more expensive than I expected to pay, but in the spirit of the trip, I was going with the flow. "Everyt'ing would be irie!"

I arrived in Jamaica in the evening. Initially, that bothered me because I like to arrive at vacations as early in the day as possible and leave from the location as late as possible. That pattern of travel makes me feel as if I've earned extra vacation days. But again, "everyt'ing was irie!" As my plane landed I enjoyed some of the most beautiful colors I've ever witnessed naturally. The sky was shades of blue with streaks of deep lavenders and fuschias. There were also distant flashes of lightening and I love watching lightening storms, especially, since we were safely on the ground. I sent up thanks to the heavens for this evening flight that allowed me to witness such wonders.

I was shuttled to the resort, left my bags with the front desk, asked them to point me to their bar and just as I envisioned: my girls had secured a spot and the party was on! The rest of the stay was uneventfully cool. I did my best to take full advantage of the sun, the spa services and the delicious drinks;-). There was some tension in our group, but what do you expect when so many women travel together? This one wants to go to this place, that one wants to take that tour, etc. I was going with the flow, cuz "everyt'ing was irie."

Then we left to return to the States...maybe if we had different flights this would not have been an issue. But, I walked toward the long line for coach and my girls all head toward First Class, so I started thinking that maybe they had to ship something and they are walking past the First Class station. I notice that a couple of my girls got really busy looking in their purses or fiddling with their packages. And the one who made the travel arrangements began to "fast talk" me: we'll just tell them that you're with us and you need to change your ticket. I. felt. like. crap. I had been duped, hoodwinked, bamboozled and I stood there at the counter with "my girls" and was made to feel like they were doing me a "favor" by "attempting" to upgrade the ticket of their nanny, or maid or some shyt! The fact that I was dumbfounded and speechless made me really look like I was a non-English (or any intelligible language) speaking 'servant'. The ticket agent did allow me to board with First Class, saving me further embarrassment of walking to the back of that long azzzz line, but DAYUM.

I was too hurt to cry. I didn't even know what to say. I talked it over with one mutual friend a week after I returned home. It was suggested that I speak to my "best" friend of the group, ask her why no one told me that tickets were being up graded to First Class. Why wasn't I given that option? I may not be "paid" yet, but I've got good credit! I don't generally like confrontations. I tried to sound casual when I asked my "girl" what was up with the travel arrangements? It was "brushed off" quickly: "Oh, you know how So&So is." And that was the end of it - the conversation changed. No apologies or explanation for the fact that I was IN JAMAICA with these chicks for SEVEN days and NOT one of them could give me a head's up. Heck, I could've upgraded from the hotel, or something! At the very least, I wouldn't have stood there like BooBoo the DaYum fool.

I know it was years ago, but every time I get a reminding 'whiff' of that trip, my stomach aches slightly all over again. Needless to say, that is not one of the trips we recount fondly, nor have I ever let anyone else make my travel arrangements. Of course, it also crosses my mind that the reason my flight ticket was so expensive was because I paid for their DAYUM First Class Tickets. It should not cost that much to get from NYC to Jamaica round trip. NYC is dayum near a Jamaican annex!

I do hope that if I've ever hurt anyone's feelings who I consider dear to me, I would be woman enough to apologize if they asked me why I did it. Sadly, it has cooled my relationship with those sistahs. Or maybe I had done something that changed our relationship without my knowing it before the trip? If so, why didn't anyone say anything?

So, tell me, how would U feel?

30 Comments:

T. S. Snowden said...

OH MY God! I dont blame you! When I went to Jamaica 3 years ago with my "best" friend and a friend of hers they made me so uncomfortable I wanted to scream. I am just an aspiring writer and book store manager while each of them have high powered gigs. The woman my best friend brought with us went into Diva mode and behaved like a spoiled child! My friend spent the entire time trying to soothe her and I just enjoyed the island in my calm and quiet way.
BTW I think you did pay for their First Class excursion! How rude! Love your blog---adding you to the blogroll if that is alright?

lisa q. said...

wow! pretty crappy to do that to you...it's no wonder at all that you're not so close with the girls anymore...hope getting it out helped! :P

GurlNexxDoor said...

I would feel exactly the same as you do, Knowing me though, I wouldn't have upgraded, I would have told their asses off and took my place in coach.

It would also be my last trip with any of them.

BK said...

u good.. cause I woulda said something then and took my ass to my original seat and KNOW after that it would be my last trip with them and I would NOT deal with them heffas no mo..

that's trifling and as a SUPPOSED "FRIEND" SHE SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU FROM JUMP..and I think you DID pay for their tickets..

Anywhoo.. check out Organized post if you haven't already..

mp1 said...

That's jacked up...I don't think my boys would do that to me. We're cheap anyway, so we would've all been in coach!

I think they owe you an apology or an explanation at the very least. If ya'll kicking it like that, they've got to keepyou in the loop.

Xcentric Pryncess said...

I have come to learn that all friendships are not supposed to last forever. Some friendships are meant for a particular time in life and some aren't. It is dirty how they did you, I agree, but if they can't respect you, why be friends. I'm not saying that you should cut them off, but I would definitely keep my eyes open.

Suldog said...

That's just reprehensible. No excuse for that. If you DIDN'T feel bad, then you'd have a problem.

CapCity said...

Femigog - thanx for the blogroll! will check u out & add your's too. Yea, we had a Diva in our crew, also - such a shame to me.

Li$a - in addition to getting it out, it helps to "hear" others understand my reaction

Gurl - what's funny, is I'm generally QUICK to tell a "jokah" off, but it was so UNexpected and these were "my HOMEGIRLS"... no trips away since then, but short visits to each other from time to time.

BK's Finest - yea, i thought about not dealing with them AT ALL anymore, but at the same time Living WELL is the best revenge;-)
They've got to live with that memory, too.

MaddyPappy - i don't think men do that type of crap to each other (they just sleep w/ each other's women;-)...but seriously, i THOUGHT i was in the loop, oh WELL...

Xcentric - u preachin' to the choir, NOW! This sistah's eyes are WIDE open, fo' sho!

dc_speaks said...

you feel as anyone would feel if they felt betrayed.

i have some similar types of stories and had to fight with every fiber to not seek revenge.

you are certainly the better person and a lesson learned goes a long way.

peace and blessings to you, ma'am.

CapCity said...

DC - thanx, yea - betrayal is a MOTHER! trust me, i learned that lesson...

DurtyMo said...

*sigh* You a good one cuz I woullda put my foot up they azz and gave them the deuce. I'm so good wif goodbyes it's sickening! LOL! Keep ya head up sis!

CapCity said...

thanx Durty...i HATE to let people know they have the power to bother me. i, too am real good w/ good byes - but those quiet kind;-). Head STAYS up, Sis! No human has that much power - they may be able to piss me off for a "minute", but For Living WELL I was born!

There was a song that said it best: If u don't believe I'm leaving then count the days I'm gone.

CapCity said...

Suldog - u must have posted at the same moment that I did..how'd i miss U? Thanx! if i did NOT feel bad i would've partaken too much jamaican rum;-)....maybe tha's what i needed to "mash up dem tricks!" lol!

thanx to you all i can actually laugh at this, now!

KIKI said...

Dat's some bull-ish!!

I woulda cuss dem heffa's out and gave them the piece-sign minus a finger...I admire the fact that you maintained your composure, cause that sure couldn't have been me!

CapCity said...

Kiki - i knew u - my ride or die chick - would've CUT somebody! LOL! the peace sign minus a finger - ROFLMAO...i guess that truly IS a piece sign = u wanna piece of this?

Anonymous said...

Okay...woosah! Being the nice fire ball that I am. I would have told them no thanks, used an inkling of the class that my mother taught me and SHUT THEM DOWN...then proceeded to coach and never spoken to them EVAH AGAIN IN LIFE. But that is my crazy butt.

I am like durtymo...saying goodbye is easy and even easier when you become vapor in my book.

The nerve of THEM.

Literary Felonies said...

Capcity, it completely boggles the mind that so-called "friends" can be so emotionally careless and rude! And to feature you on front street the day of departure- at the airport no less! Uh, uh, honey, you're to be commended for keeping your cool considering the circumstance. Yours truly is a work in progress and I can honestly say at this juncture, Jamaica would've not only remembered me/us/our party, but by the time I was finished sophisticatedly cussing out the bevy of divas, they would've snatched passports, too! Baby, baby, baby this is a hot topic for me, hitting all the right buttons. My heart (an attitude) go out on your behalf having been the unwilling victim of such stupid sh*t dealing with overly-educated, though highly ignorant friends; ones who'll pull that "you know how-so-&-so is" sh*t! What! No honey, in my opinion, you were well within your rights to "trip", and while I subscribe to the same philosophy of not letting people either know or think they have power over me, I figure if my level of piss-tivity lasts longer than 3 days, then they've got it whether they know it or not, so I might as well blast away! However, if classy-cool works for you, the you do you, blogging your troubles away 'til you feel better. And, as for them triflin' assed queens, tell'em they can KY2 (that "kill yourself twice!").

Oh, and like Femigog, I am enjoying your blog and would like to add you to my blog list with your permission. Keep your head up darlin!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

no home training what so ever

Mizrepresent said...

Gurl, i don't pay first class flying for nothing...in fact when i pass "those Bama's by" (your words remember...lol) i'm thinking y'all think y'all something cuz you sitting here, but i'm saving nearly $100 sitting right behind you...lol! Do you, always sis, well, you know i know you will anyway...sometimes we can't help the friends we pick up along the way, but as we grow older and wiser, we start to chooose the friends who will continue on our journey... u hear me?

Rich Fitzgerald said...

Let it out girl. It does help.

I would've been done when they all had that avoid you look on their faces, which said they knew full well that you didn't know what had gone down. I would have strolled on back to coach and gave them my butt to kiss.

CapCity said...

Amneris - Woosahhh is right & that's what this post is! lol!

L.F. - Welcome! thank u for the commendation & for adding my blog to your roll - i'll reciprocate:-).

T-all-mi-T - lol! i'm sure their mamas would've been aSHAMED! i KNOW they were raised better! i should've "told on" 'em;-).

Miz - thanx, Girl u're right. we may not have control of the "bamas" we pick up along the way, but u best believe I keep a sharp eye on who stays in my close circle.

Rich - u know hind-sight is 20-20. After it went down then I recalled the "shifty" eyes. But U KNOW i'm stronger because of this;-).
Fool me once shame on U, fool me twice shame on me...there has been no "seconds" of this f%!ery!

Lisa Johnson said...

I would have felt the exact same way. I've found that you really don't know someone until you travel with them. A trip together can be a "make it or break it" deal for friendships and relationships too.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Just give them the benefit of the doubt. It could be an honest to goodness oversight. You're just too good to keep these things bottled up in your mind. Just charge them to experience. Next time you'll be wiser and more careful in your dealings with others. Smile. And the whole world will be smiling back at you. God bless and have a nice and pleasant day.

LoveMyselfFirst said...

i would have felt hurt, slighted, and pissed. all of that purse fiddling was an obvious sign that somebody knew what was up.. and they were going to sit there and throw you under the bus! ok.. maybe i'm exaggerating.. but it's not nice to feel left out.. i don't see why they didn't tell you.. maybe they felt it would be easier for you to just enjoy the vacation and not worry about changing plane tix.

CapCity said...

Anali - I had traveled with most of these sistahs several times before TO Jamaica, so I thought we were cool. life is filled w/ lessons...

Mel - i don't think it was an oversight, but i also don't feel the need to keep it bottled up anymore;-). i have learned to watch the ones closest to me!

Love - I did feel all of those things, but primarily hurt for being the "odd" one out...but, it's all good! I've grown from it.

Miss Snarky Pants said...

I ain't madatcha for feeling hurt/betrayed. [Shew..that's some foul ish right there so I'm sure I'd have felt the same!!]

Though I know it had to hurt, you did the right thing in making that trip with them YOUR LAST.

Girl they ain't even worthy!!

CapCity said...

Ms. B - thanx, Girl!

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

I wouldn't have talked to or even looked at any of them bitches again in my life!!!! I don't usually throw the B-word at women but THAT was truly deserved. Damn. A little shout on the cab ride over to give yo a minute to think? "Can I holla ova there?" three days earlier?

For that there is a hug waiting for ya whenever you want it.

CapCity said...

THE 2nd 68 - u so sweeeet! i needed that hug back then, tooo! well....i don't refuse hugz now, either! lol! thanx for coming thru AND bringing luv witcha! ;-)

Unknown said...

My initial thought at the start of this post was, "Mmmm...not her style to dwell on past happenings at ALL." I see why this trip remains in that catalogued group of "horror stories" that we all have (if we've lived life long enough to know true disappointment. You were sucker-punched by people who were supposed to have your best interests at heart...and PLAYED you. You have every right to feel hurt by their sad lack of good judgment and common respect. If anything, I feel proud of your ability to bounce up from the knockdown and continue to treat them with respect; most people would put on some Kevlar and pull out the ratchets (especially some of the heads HERE on the comment list)!

I am glad that you didn't let your pride prevent you from taking the first-class seat that YOU PAID TO USE. There is no way in hell that I would have sat UNCOMFORTABLY in the coach seats a/k/a the torture chamber just to spite a few dummies. Karma catches up to the wrongdoer, and your continued discomfort wouldn't help that karmic justice along one single step! That's just MY assessment...

blogger templates | Make Money Online