It's been an emotionally draining week for me (Jena 6 AND personal stuff - WHEW!) So, it's time for some FUN!!
Now, anyone who's been reading my blog for a minute knows that I Love. To. Drive! I was reminded of these stories and thought I should share them here in blog land after seeing T-Dawg's ADORABLE, Baby-Girl behind the wheel. Enjoy!
Long Trips:
My Dad & I were talking and laughing recently about my passion for driving as a youngstah. My Daddy was holding down several jobs, so that my Moma could be a house-wife & full time mommy. His between-jobs gig was driving a cab. When he would get home in the evening I'd be waiting impatiently at the door, or on the porch if the weather was good. As soon as he got out of the taxi, I would brush past him, mumble my greetings 'cause I had places to go and he was slowing me down! I would jump into that taxi and DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE! I couldn't have been older than six or seven because I needed to sit on my left leg to see over the steering wheel (needed the right leg to stretch down to the pedals, DUH!;-).
Now, a casual observer may have giggled at the li'l fuzzy haired girl with pig tails in the stationary taxi going "nowhere". But, aaaahhhhh, if they were in the car with me they would've driven all over DC, maybe as far as Richmond, VA, or Baltimore, MD depending on where my fancy took me and the amount of time I had. See? In my head, I literally drove to specific places. I adjusted the mirrors so that I could see behind me. And I didn't just haphazardly turn the steering wheel back and forth like an amateur. I put on my signal when I "reached intersections" and carefully turned hand over hand until I needed to straighten the car. Sometimes, I drove with one hand and put my arm out the window to catch the breeze "on the road". Then when I "arrived", I would parallel park "expertly", putting my arm over the back seat, looking behind me - just like my Daddy "taught" me. I'd always arrive back home in time to join the family for dinner;-).
I'm ready, now:
So, after all my "years" of driving practice I was finally tall enough to see over the steering wheel and reach the pedals with both feet. Surely, my Dad would let me take her on the road, now!
"Hey, Daddy? Can I drive?" I approached him one day when I must have been ten or so.
"When you get a li'l older I'll take you out, so you can drive." was his response. Cool, I was patient. I'd be older soon. I must've waited years (probably... weeks;-) until I approached him again.
While I waited I continued to practice, this time while the car was moving. My sisters argued for the front seat, but my position of choice was directly behind my Dad so that I could see the mirrors. I had a large plastic bowl top that was about the size of a steering wheel. I would "put" my back seat gears into 'drive' as we pulled off. I hand over hand turned when we turned corners. I put the gear into 'reverse' while parking and threw her into 'park' when I was done. Ahhh! I was more than ready to hit the road. Besides, I was older now.
"Hey Daddy." I approached him grinning, confident this time. "Remember you said I could drive when I got older?" I wasn't aware that his expression was holding in laughter. "Well, I'm ready." Boy, did I pout when he said I still wasn't old enough. How old ya gotta be anyway? Sixteen?! Why, I'll be married with kids of my own by then!
* * *
Now, gon' and have a FABULOUS weekend!
Here's wishing U all the chance to take a wonderful drive;-)
Friday, September 21, 2007
Light & Lively Friday: Funny Driving Memories
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 9/21/2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 Comments:
Love those driving stories. Reminds me a bit of my childhood. Hearing your story reminded me of a time I played drive with an old non-working utility van. It was in the yard of a family friend who went by the name, Boot Bear. I don't know how that dude got the name, but he hung with my uncles who I actually grew up with like cousins.
Another thing I used to do was to imagine that I would have to take over if the bus driver fainted or had a heart attack or something. Growing up we didn't always have a car, so the city bus was a popular mode of transportation. I always was waiting on the chance to be the hero that saved the day.
It's funny remembering all those times past. Thanks for the memories.
This is soooo funny! I remember when we went camping my Dad used to let me drive around the campsight, I had to sit on his knee to see, but in my mind I was driving. Have a good weekend Lady!
fabulous story! have a great weekend! :P
In essence, you captured the difference between a good driver and these road maniacs that compass us daily! I see ya vision Cappy
There's something about those early times behind the wheel. I suppose next time I'm in traffic I should try and remember them.
Well written by the way.
Wonderful story sis! Brought back great memories. Have a lovely and fun weekend.
Wonderful, wonderful. You have a way with words. They seem to jump out of the monitor screen. Your style of writing or posting is so vivid one could almost see a little girl literally driving a taxi cab. You can put a lot of color and life to earlier episodes in your life. You have the making of a great story teller. Haven't you ever consider pursuing one? Thanks for the exquisite post. It was so entertaining. Smile. God bless and have a nice and creative day.
Rich - always glad that I can take u back down GOOD memory lane:-)
Gurl - yea, it was fun when my Dad would take us to large parking lots and do the same! So addictive:-)
Li$a - thanx, Girl!
Soumynona - i didn't realize i'd gotten philosophical, but thanx;-)
Terry - welcome and thanx! yea, living here in the apple reQUIRES that i use what i know to keep me calm & sane;-).
Miz - Thanx, Sis!
Mel - *blushing* why, thank U for such a heartfelt compliment. i am now in the process of taking my writing/story telling "gift" seriously. am working on a myriad of project - of course, i'll keep u all posted when i'm published! ;-)
LOL! I love it! No wonder you're so obsessed with driving today! Our roots in the love of the open road are close: my pops put me behind the wheel when I was THREE (country folks could get away with murder back in the day, eh?) as he helped me with steering and handled the pedals. I was hooked from that day on! I wish I could do a road trip with him now!
Nice change of mood, lady! Thanks!
Ced - :-)...yea, i am quite passionate about driving;-). i guess the fact that my country cousins started driving earlier than us only fueled my fire more! LOL!
This story is soooooooo cute! ; )
thanx, Anali!
Post a Comment