Monday, August 20, 2007

Leading character & What? an experiment....

After returning to the internet world and reading Brother Rich's post on Clarity, I did a li'l experiment Sunday evening.

First, you see the photo of award winning actors & actresses. If it were up to me Forest Whitaker would not be award winning because he frightens me. I don't know if it's just his lazy eye or those crazy roles he plays, but it's a good thing his income does not depend on me and my opinion. Good thing for Forest that I am not the one to rate his life's work and it's in God's hands:-). Secondly, according to Rich's post we all play one of several roles: lead, support or just part of the crowd.

Well, I want to take that concept a step or so further. I've been in the country for a week, looking at flowers, grass, corn and other crops. In my mind, I am the leading lady in my life. But, I'm wondering - if we are all God's Flowers - what if you're simply meant to be a wild flower that may or may not even be noticed. Would we as humans be able to handle the fact that our role may simply be to just fill the fields? What if you knew that you were not destined for greatness...would you still strive for it? What if you were not destined to be chosen, plucked and put into the vase for closer inspection and enjoyment "in the house"? Would you continue to blossom as brightly as possible?

Back to my li'l experiment: a Brother pulled up in a truck next to my li'l ride. I knew IMMEDIATELY that we had NOT ONE THING in common! You know when YOU just KNOW? But he was SO insistent that we at least have a drink together. Initially, I was adamant that I go on my merry way. But, I'm telling you, the Brother was persistent and literally blocked my path until I agreed to join him for a drink. According to him, if I "loosened up" a bit, I would enjoy his company. I don't mean to seem snobbish or whatever, but I knew that he was simply attracted to my "shell" and I told him so. So, my experiment was to go along to see if maybe I'd feel differently after spending time together. While we talked over drinks he admitted that his initial thoughts when looking at me were carnal (no, that is not the word he used). I continued to ask him, what makes you so sure that we will enjoy each other? According to our conversation, we have nothing in common: I hate sports; he loves them. He's a self admitted TV addict. I barely watch tv (& don't have cable:-). I had to ask him to take his hat off inside (he's a grown man & that's a new concept? I felt like I was filming Daddy's Little Girls part 2 & he was NOT Idris!). According to this man, if given the chance he and I would be good for each other...I didn't think so...No, I knew we wouldn't be any kind of good match. Every time I asked him why he thought we'd be a good match his only answer was the fact that he found me attractive. ARRRGHHHH! We exchanged numbers at 4:15pm, spent a few hours together at a bar, walked through a street fair in Harlem and by 7:30pm I was walking back to my car alone (he didn't offer to walk me to my car). I called to thank him for the drinks, but said I would save us both the time and trouble by not calling him anymore. I don't mean to seem ungrateful for the Brother's accolades and compliments. I am VERY thankful that Brothers still even FIND me attractive - but can I be MORE than eye-candy, please? Or is that God's role for me? Maybe I'm destined to simply provide visual pleasure to men of the world...

So, my question again - what if you knew that the person you felt fit your ideal was NOT who you would end up with - would you continue to put the effort into living your best life? What if you think you want a "dime" - but you're destined for a nickel...can you give that person your best? Or will you treat them like: Danggg, it's just you? Well, let's make the best of this..."??



*click on image for source.

21 Comments:

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I'd throw a f'ing conniption if I found out things were different from what I have in my head. If the Lord came down and said "This is as good as it gets", I'd be done. Fugg that. I wasn't born into sin, saved by grace to play out some game of "betcha can't get what you want outta life."

Quote me all the scriptures you want. I ain't feeling that.

Signed

The real man with balls

CapCity said...

Tell us how U really feel, Rich! LOL! I'm going to hold my own opinions on this until several others comment. will be interesting to see if other's are as passionate as U!

Andrew The Asshole said...

If you God is a king, then that would make his children the son and daughter of a KING. King will move mountains for his children; however he can't make you walk to your destiny. He gave us the freedom of choice. Destiny is a decision. Sometimes sitting on the side line you wonder wow how did the leading character do it? They decided to be great, just as you decided to be average. Just like You decide to date someone that was average, because you thought that was your worth.

Lets not Blame God for our laziness and lack of self image. He did not create you to be weak, but like every muscle in your body if you fail to use then you will lose it. Every muscle needs exercise you body, mind and spirit. Its called being a complete person.

If you want to date a dime, then become a dime yourself. Birds of a feather flock together.

What character am I? If you can’t tell by what I have written so far… I am a Fucking Leader!!! If a role was not made for me I create it.

Organized Noise said...

Sadly, you'll treat people the same way you rate them. If you think they are a dime you'll treat them as such. If you think they're a nickel, you'll treat them accordingly. Treating a nickel like a dime will not turn the nickel into a dime because the nickel will think she's a dime because she's being treated as one. I hope that made sense.

Xcentric Pryncess said...

First of all, welcome back...you were missed!!

I think that greatness is relative. Greatness depends on the perspective of the individual. Whereas on might think that being a doctor is "great" others may think that teaching is greatness...


I beleive in a God that knows what I want and need--in regards to a mate, I think that he will give me my "dime"--he may not be a "dime" for someone else, but as long as we love each other, the tags don't matter. Where there is unity, god command his blessings...

Shai said...

what happened to my post?

CapCity said...

Andrew - wow, guess u feel as passionately as Rich on this topic! Glad I could come back & ruffle some feathers! lol! i agree w/ your points 100%!

O.N. - yes, u made perfect sense to me. I am often curious about men who approach me and insist we're going to be a great pair when it's EVIDENT that I have no interest. I'm not good at hiding my feelings:-). I don't know WHY anyone would WANT to be with someone who is not interested in them.

Sistah Pryncess! Thanx! good 2 b back. just as Andrew pointed out we have to be all that WE can be! Individually, we're all going to be different.

Hey Shai - not sure what happened...

Shai said...

I'll try this again. I wrote a long comment that disappeared. This one will not be as long. LOL.


Whose to say we will get the things we think we should get?

I mean seriously. What is one person's sidedish is another person's meal. We are blessed already to have plumbing and good water systems, we can get at home or at restaurants. We have tons of opportunities. Some people in other countries don't. To live another day with a full stomach and shelter is enough for some of them.

If we are all the descendents of a King why do some of us livei n royalty and others live in poverty?
Yet, some rich folks are miserable and some poor folks have joy?


If you get a nickle instead of a dime does that mean life ends? Does that mean you are not blessed? What if what you need and get is less than you want? Aren't you blessed to get it cause some folks don't get a penny's worth.

Are we acting like spoiled brats if we thumb our noses at what God has given us just because it is not what we want?

If I got a nickel I would hope it has the qualities best suited for me.

Anonymous said...

Great question CAP! I think the real question is what do you (generally speaking) consider "great?" I think, to often we are trying to be great in someone elses eyes...that of society, our friends, a member of the opposite sex we are trying to impress. What if we strove to be great in God's eyes by being what He designed us to be. What if we strove to be great in the eyes of our children, who it takes little to impress but time, attention and love. What if we could find happiness in the things that we like and didn't think so much about what others thought.

I could be a garbage man, but I could be the greatest garbage man ever. Most people don't think a thing about these people. Let them go on strike for a month and see what they think then.

My philosophy is to be the best you you can be. David was a shepherd boy who became king. Gideon was a farmer and defeated an army. Lazurus was a poor beggar that ended up in heaven. And that's really what it's about: It's not where you start, it's where you end up.

Diva's Thoughts said...

Ok I LOVE Forest Whitaker! I think he is a phenominal actor!!!

Mizrepresent said...

Wow Cap, this was deep, really, and seeing that i am on some kind of journey and have spent most of that time alone and wondering, who will be for me...i can't help but question, pray, envision a great ending. I sometimes wonder if i settle for some guys because of my need for comfort, to be touched, to be needed, because i am human and the one thing i miss the most is human touch, a loving hand, a gracious smile, a soft tender kiss...but i often find much of the same on the streets, men who want the physical, so much more than the metaphysical. I have no real answers, only my true beliefs, hope and faith that what, who is intended for me will show up one day SOON! Today was not a good day, as i passed by my ex's place and saw not one, but two cars parked in the driveway...he has moved on, moved in, and discarded anything left between us, and yet i still linger in the abyss of what was, and what is, and yet i can't give up hope of what wonderful possibilities to be. I am worthy and deserving, i am the daughter of Gods, the sister of the Savior, a princess, a Queen. I deserved to be uplifted, adored, love, appreciated, because i am royalty.

CapCity said...

Shai - good for U, you're NO Quitter! LOL! seriously - i agree we have to enjoy what we have regardless of what others may "rate" it!

Brother G - Glad u liked the question! Your response is what my closer walk with The Creator has brought me to: WHEREEVER I stand in God's Field of Plenty is where I will SHINE = actively DO the best I can to Glorify The Creator & be thankful for my blessed life! It is NOT my call to decide whether the circumstances are ideal.

Hey Diva - didn't mean to disrespect your man, Forrest - he was simply my example that it is not for other humans to judge really, because our reasons are "fickle" - he may be a great actor - but watching him gives me the willies.

Sistah Miz! I'm glad this reached out to you and I send you a cyber hug as you get thru this rough patch. U KNOW I agree with U 100%! U are a Queen who totally deserves to be loved completely! Hang on, Sis - our Kings are on the way;-).

BK said...

damn lemme just cosign on megarich..

but I'm going through my own journey right now.. and honestly I refuse to SETTLE for LESS than what makes me completely happy and if in turn that means I stay "ALONE" forever then so be it..

I refuse to settle.. I did that in my past to only feel worse.. F Dat

CapCity said...

i HEAR ya BK's finest! u sound like my great aunt may she rest in peace:" I'll stand for right, if I have to stand alone!"

and i guess i inherited that philosophy, too! ;-)

Unknown said...

Rich and Andrew, thank you kindly for speaking my mind! Cap, this is a great topic. I'm simultaneously shocked and happy to hear two men on the other side of the country saying EXACTLY WHAT I FELT when I read this post!

Good to see you back, lady! How was home?

Shai said...

Ok, it must be a man thing to protest so strongly. SMH. Why guys?
Sometimes we have to be humbled don't we.

Shai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CapCity said...

Wha's up, Ceddi-Bear? I love to hear passionate men express themselves!

Shai - sis, say what u will - but i love and am in NEED of a man who submits to our Creator - but is ANYTHING but humble in the sense that he will do whatever's needed to reach his goals and live his BEST life! I'm sick of the so-called humble brothers who are 'scared' of everything!!! The brother who was so Dayum persistent who I posted about had the nerve to 1)ask me to go easy on his ego...PUHLEEZE he bought it on himself - I told him I didn't want to be bothered
2)in our conversation he told me that no one ever plans to have children - they "just happen"...
THAT type of ignorance I don't need in my life....my apologies for going off & possibly misunderstanding what u meant - but I'm sick of the excuses often masked as humility! I think we should ALL DO the BEST we can with the gifts from God and enjoy the Blessings The Creator bestow upon us regardless of what others rate it.

Shai said...

Cap, You didn't offend me.

What I meant was sometimes folks have such big egos that they have to be humbled. I was curious why the men acted so shocked to think they may not get it all. I understand not settling for things. But what if God gives you all you need not what you want would it be so bad?

CapCity said...

oh. ;-)

Shai said...

LOL. Yeah. A good example for me was when it took 10 years to finish college. I had my daughter at 20 at the end of my sophomore year. I thought I could finish my Bachelor's in years once I went back. NOT! I learned alot about life and myself during the challenges to get it.

I am not trying to say not to dream just saying God's plans can be so simple and awesome compared to our own.

blogger templates | Make Money Online