I TOLDJALL I'd be leaping into Greatness this YEAR! The Creator is gently prepping me to do the required Good works & keeping the required Good company;-). So, U know that last Friday I went to check out the art work of this Sistah Kara Walker. Well, I returned yesterday with a dear friend who wanted to check it out.
Initially, I thought my girl was going to call and say: "NEVER mind!" - because it was POURING down raining, cold and windy much of yesterday afternoon. My girl is a TROOPER and she met me down in the City. Now, anyone who lives in NYC will understand the effort it took for Sistah-Girl to leave her comfy abode in da Bronix, hop on the train and meet me on E. 75th and Madison to wait in a line in the rain;-). So, we make it into the museum, pay 'what we want', get in line for audio guides, wait for the elevator, get to the third floor of The Whitney then begin "dancing" around the multitudes who were also checking out the exhibit in its final weekend. A couple of hours later our brains are full, our stomaches empty and our thirst for liquid refreshments intense.
We stood at the elevator chatting as we discussed our next move. The huge elevator doors swooshed open and out stepped ... The ARTIST herself: Kara Walker! She was surrounded by an entourage of what seemed to be museum execs and possible funders/producers of her exhibit;-). Kara smiled as she recognized that I recognized her. There are no images of her at the exhibit. I only knew what she looked like because I went onto one of her websites after attending the exhibit last week. As the group passed, I looked at my girl and asked, "Do you think we should ask her for an autograph?"
My girl shrugged and said, "It can't hurt. My mom always said, 'If the opportunity presents itself...'".
So, we followed the group into the next room as my girl dug into her bag for a pen. We stood by in order to be unobtrusive and not wanting to draw attention to ourselves or the artist - in case she was not trying to be swamped by an autograph signing frenzy. As I watched her talking to her entourage I waited for a pause and asked her if she'd mind signing our Gallery Guides. She smiled and excused herself as her entourage watched, smiling. Kara asked my name. I told her then we laughed as I said, "You don't need to write all of that. I just appreciate your taking the time to sign your name." Kara then told us a quick story of when she was young and approached Coretta Scott King for an autograph who blatantly told her: NO! We laughed and I said that I appreciated that she did not take that stance;-). My girl told her that we were amazed by the size of her work and it would be great to see video of her creating and installing her exhibits. To which Kara replied, that she would bet there's some video floating in cyberspace of her doing such (but i couldn't find it;-). We shook her hand, wished her well, thanked her again and headed out for dinner and drinks. Annnd ... HERE is Ms. Walker's autograph to ME!!
Thanx Again, I.am.Malik! Wish U were with us!
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Great Start to Leap MONTH;-)
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 2/02/2008
Labels: blessings, promoting another artist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 Comments:
thats so cool...
when you get famous its good to remmeber stuff like that!
Some famous people aspire to be famous, and some aspire to be people. I guess you know which category the gracious Ms. Walker falls into! I'm glad your month had such a great start and that this year it will last a day longer than most ;)
Cool stuff! I'm going to take a look at her website - this is an educational blog.
I miss home (Hollis) so much. Now that I'm not driving I'm pretty limited since mass transit in Atlanta is limiting.
Yeah Cap,
I was with my daughter at the park and ran into the brother who plays the lead in Daddies Little Girl, actually I didn't recognize him, however, my seven year old daughter did. So we politely approach the brother and ask for an autograph for my baby. And this, i don't even want to say!
Flat out told my baby NO!!!!
Needless to say, I won't support that S.O.B. again.
Y'all know his name, all the ladies love him...
Hey Cap,
I went to the Whitney on Saturday, not Friday, so we didn't get a chance to meet... this time & darn I would have loved to meet Ms. Walker. What an experience!
Awesome! That's all I can say to describe Kara's artists' mind & her body of work. It's grotesque, it's erotic but it's so very real.
Congratulations on getting Kara's autograph! When I was leaving in walks Meshell Ndegeocello. She didn't look too approachable but I smiled anyway. Thanks for reminding me of the exhibit. It was meant for me to come by your blog & read your post or I may have missed out.
@ Tony Stringfield
That would be Idris Elba who I think is one of the sexiest brothas on the planet but if he acted all ignit wit babygirl then I'ma kick 'em to the curb right now! That's some serious ish right there; if he would treat a seven year old that way, I can just imagine how the brotha would treat a grown woman...
next time i'll go with y'all so you can get in free...membership has it's privileges.
Sheletha - I agree it was VERY cool! :-)
Sharon - thanx...yes, i have an extra day to GET it WRITE;-)
Jali - HOW do U DO IT? ATL w/o driving? It drove me bonkers to live in NYC for 2 years w/o a car of my own! But then we all know I.LOVE.2.DRIVE;-)
Tony - Sad to hear that Foine Idris is not personable (or was he having a bad day? u know We Sistahs must give him benefit of the doubt;-). I'll Give U both my autograph when we meet! LOL!
Ms.K.i.A. - too bad we missed each other. M'shell is from my "hometown" (DC) and I think she's shy. I've met her a couple of times. I never asked for her autograph - but she seemed to appreciate it when I told her I just wanted to shake her hand & thank her for her wonderful music.
Sharon2 - maybe Idris prefers his women grown ...unlike R.Kelly;-). LOL! U know I'm going to with-hold judgement 'til I see for myself - we don't have enough fione men on the Big Screen for me to start cuttin' 'em out, YET! I've heard similar tales about Terrence Howard - but I still enjoy the view, for now;-).
Malik - U been holding OUT on a sistah! We gonna have to talk! LOL!
hey great woman, we gone sale this book
Post a Comment