Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Where Your Vote gets counted ...not screwed;-)

Yea, I'm excited that Obama's KICKIN' AZZ! But, looking at the history of this "great" nation built by ALL my ancestors - whoEVAH in da Big HOUSE thangs here in de field is always run by folk we don't see or know. So, I'm gonna be glad when the Brother & his family moves in. I hope they'll be kinder, gentler than the former Big House occupants. I know I'mma still have to "hit that mule come sun up." But watchin' that fella make 'em squirm sho is a heap o' fun!

Half-pint McCain may as well say what he meant (& what we "hear" anyway;-): In scarcely veiled criticism of Obama, the Republican nominee-in-waiting said, "I will fight every moment of every day in this campaign to make sure that Americans are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change>.NI99A" ... And folk up in arm about Nas' new album title....Cap, strolls off shakin' her head;-)
* from AP

Now, go on over & check out BD2Write's Readers' Choice Poems! Then cast a vote - AFTER U read ALL of the poems (linked in their sidebar;-). I know - the choices will be difficult - serious talent over there!

11 Comments:

Unknown said...

HA! Speak!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i dropped u a vote hon, make me wanna submit a poem

Suldog said...

I don't know, CC. I'm no fan of McCain's, but do you really think that's what he's saying? If you do, I've got to be honest and say that I find that very sad. Maybe you've got an insight into his nature that I don't, but I don't believe he's a racist.

CapCity said...

Ced - ;-)

T-Dawg - thanx, Hun:-)

Suldog - Brother, i can't say the man's a card-carrying member of the KKK but his history shows quite a bit of flipping sides when it's convenient to his cau$e & very li'l 'love' for people who look like shades of me. Here's one article I found on his Katrina "support".

Suldog said...

Well, I'm not a scholar on McCain, so I won't be argumentative. Those are a lot of votes against things, for sure. I'd say that sometimes people vote against things because they really believe the vote is the best thing, and not because they have hate in their hearts.

I once ran for office, as you might know, and I gave a speech to a gay/lesbian organization during the campaign. In it, I said that I was against a bill at that time currently pending in the MA legislature that would have made it mandatory to rent to gay and/or lesbian tenants, and not allow landlords to discriminate based on their hate. On the surface, that would seem to be a no-brainer, right? Everybody deserves equal treatment. And I do believe that.

However, when you think a bit deeper, what if the gay or lesbian person is the landlord, and a fanatical right-wing fire-breathing evangelical, stridently anti-gay, wants to move into the gay person's building and hold anti-gay meetings in his apartment? Should the gay person be beholden by law to rent the apartment to that person, or should the gay person be free to say, "No, I don't want that hater in my building. I should have the right to keep such hate, that would be directed towards me and my friends, out of my building."

In other words, if you want freedom for yourself, you have to grant the same freedom to everybody else. As the saying goes, if one person is not free, then nobody truly is.

That's just a quick example I can come up with off the top of my head from my own life. I'm no hater, which I hope you know. In regards to the example above, I've been an usher at a gay wedding, so I don't hate gay people. It's a cliche, but... some of my best friends, etc. But the people I gave that speech to thought I was anti-gay. So, sometimes the first appearance isn't always true.

I'm not saying that McCain ISN'T prejudiced or racist. Just that, from my reading of his actions, he may not be.

Sorry to be so long-winded, CC. Feel free to come over to my place and spout some crap like I just did at yours :-)

CapCity said...

LOL! Suldog! See? Tha's why I luv ya! u keep me on my toes & remind me not to put a man in a box based on a few public perceptions.

But, Suldog - for all the ranting that is being done about Obama's lack of experience - in the eyes of MOST of us folk of Color: ANY Brother who can withstand the pressure he's under in a historically racist system is QUITE experienced enough to RUN ANY country (irregardless of which individuals ARE racist - the system itSELF is biased towards the culture of our "founding fathers").

And I actually like a good debate - so LET's Go! WHO ELSE wants some? LOL!!

Anonymous said...

LMBO @ I know I'mma still have to "hit that mule come sun up." But watchin' that fella make 'em squirm sho is a heap o' fun!

WrkNProgress said...

Very intelligent review on the whole situation. You go girl.

CapCity said...

Sistah B_Mo' - WELCOME - glad i could humor ya;-).

WnP - THANX, Sis;-)

Suldog said...

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm rooting for Obama to win the D nomination. And I am morally unable to vote for anyone who wants to prolong the war, so...

Blah Blah Blah said...

Malcolm: "The future is for those who prepare for it today."

blogger templates | Make Money Online