My newest S-hero: Ms. Beverly Jenkins!
I am moved to send a huge cyber HUG to my favorite living author and greatest inspiration outside of my parents and ancestors. Words don't sufficiently describe this amazingly humble woman. Her books are categorized as historical romances, which seems inadequate to me. I have learned an incredible amount of Black History from her novels and I am not new to Black History studies.
In addition to writing the best historical romance novels on the market, Ms. B (as we call her in BevLand) is extremely generous to her fans. She's taken some to dinner, sends gifts to young mothers, cards to those who are ailing and collects gifts and cards from fans to send to each other. I was extremely touched when a young fan (daughter of a BevLander), wrote into BevLand to tell Ms. B that she got an A on a book report about one of Ms. B's young adult novels (all the fluid history without the adult action;-). In addition to sending the young lady a letter that she could take to school to show her teacher, Ms. B called the girl! I know if that had been me in my pre-teen years, a phone call from a favorite author would have caused me to pass OUT! I can't imagine what I would have said to a Gwendolyn Brooks, or Mildred Taylor. As it is, when I had the great fortune of meeting Beverly Jenkins I had to remind myself to breathe!
So, thank you, Ms. Beverly Jenkins for your amazing books! Thank you for the love and encouragement that you offer to us in BevLand. You have truly made this world a better place. Please check out Ms. Beverly Jenkins' website by clicking on her name!
And I must add a Thank You to my dear friend Beverly, who introduced me to the wonderful books of Ms. B!
*Click here for photo credit.
Friday, May 4, 2007
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 5/04/2007
Labels: amazing individual, bev jenkins, blessings, historical romance, history
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 Comments:
Hey Bev is my hometown girl. She is so, so down to earth. She now lives in the burbs of Detroit. She has been to one of my Detroit RAW bookclub meetings.
I saw her last November at a bookclub mingle in Detroit. I am also a part of the Yahoo group, "Bevland." So when she saw me and casually said, "Hi, Shai." I was floored. I hugged her and said how you remember me. She was like I don't forget.
WooHoo! My Detroit sista Beverly Jenkins. And my CT Alum.
CT=Cass Technical High School
I love when people get shout outs on blogs.
You're a woman that gives props to others and that is to be commended.
You're letting your faith and your light shine for us and it is RADIANT!!!
Hey my BevLand Sister,
All that you have said about Ms.Bev is so true. And Down to earth doesn't even begin to describe her! 5 minutes with her and she is your Mother-sister! I had the honor of meeting her at a book signing in 2005 and spending time with her during the HBF of that same year and now she can't get rid of me. LOL!
SHE IS TRULY...SIMPLY THE BEST!
And so are you Dee for taking the time to Honor our Mother-sister in words. Big Hugs to you!!
Janice-NY
Right Janice. When I met her, she told us about her husband and his battles before he died. How he supported her writing when she first started.
She is a REAL Detroit sista. Got the humor and and down to earthness alot of us from the D have. LOL. I think of the things she tolk and have to laugh and shake my head at her. She can be so crazy, in a good way.
I love to hear that an author is doing more than staying in touch with an audience. Lady Jenkins makes her readers a part of her family. Reminds me of my mother...
Ms B Ms B Ms B. What can you say? Too many emotions and feelings to name. No matter who you are or when you came to the group she gives you her time, thoughts, and opinions. This is the first bookclub I have loved from day 1. Dee I am loving it.
Stay Blessed
Rae Wo
On your recommendation, I will definitely check her out.
What you said about Ms. B is all so true. I am one of those young mothers that she reached out to. The first time I met her she gave me a big hug and has been sweet to me every other time we have met. She even took my cell phone and talked to one of her fans who could not make the trip. I truly love Ms. B.
Never met her, but love her books, the best in historical romance, ever!
You are correct Miz. Bev weaves a historical novel with mainly black characters that entertains and informs. I love how she gives info. in the back of her books on where she got all her info. I have learned some things about black folks back in the 1800's that was not just based on slavery.
Bev's contemporary novels are the bomb and have been based in our hometown Detroit. Cool.
@Shai - I had heard from my sister (who attended MSU) that such warmth existed there! Glad to find out w/o having to endure your winters:-). lol!
@DC - thanx for the commendation and compliments.
@Janice - glad u came through, Sis! Thanks for the love & hugz, too!
@Ced - yea, Lady Jenkins is a perfect name for her - she's got to be experienced to be believed! I know you will enjoy her books, Ced. U may even be inspired to write similar from the male perspective (I hope I hope:-).
@RaeWo - u know I'm FEELING u on THIS! As I read back through what I wrote it didn't seem I put in enough but I didn't want to write a book:-).
@Dave - Her books will NOT disappoint and from your blog & comments I think you're open minded enough to dig beneath the "girly girlness" of romance novels:-). though the covers may prevent men from reading her books in public:-).
@Shreba - yea Girl - Ms. B is simply the best!
@Miz - if Ms. B is EVAH in an area where U are going to be - it is IMPERATIVE that u go meet her:-).
I do wish MORE MEN read her books because they could CERTAINLY LEARN a GREAT DEAL!! I really love it that Ms. B is open about the fact that her husband (rest his soul) was a great REsource & inspiration;-)! Adds greatly to the validity to me because her scenarios are TRIED & TRUE! Whew!
Post a Comment