Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wednesday Wisdoms

Welcome Back for Wednesday Wisdoms vol.2

C'mon, look closely and see what U can dig up from the following bit of wisdom:

Wars of nations are fought to change maps. But wars of poverty are fought to map change.
Muhammad Ali

12 Comments:

dc_speaks said...

heyyyy I'm first.

firstly, call my cynic, but I am not seeing any wars on poverty.

though the thought sounds good, it's not there. Not where I can see it.

I only see wars to change maps.

excellent start to wednesday wisdoms

CapCity said...

DC - i guess it depends what side of the "elephant" you're on. I see the war on poverty fought on a much "quieter" scale than the wars of nations. I feel that I attend a house of worship that is fighting against poverty (of spirit & body). I also see other organizations fight against poverty, but they don't get the media blast.

It's a tougher fight to map change than it is to change maps. In my life-time I've seen nations & countries get new names (USSR?) as well as areas within our own nation.

Shai said...

I have to agree with DC.(wow, that is rare, LOL)

I see povery on so many levels.Then I think of the unseen areas of poverty.

We are commuter folks in many cities and pass through areas on the free/highways not knowing what is existing. Sad.

KIKI said...

Sad to say, but I'm mostly in agreeance with DC & Shai. I dont see any wars being fought against financial poverty, just the rich get richer...you know the rest. Seems as though society is more concerned with changing maps than mapping changes.SMH

But when talking about spirtual poverty, I have noticed that more & more of my family & friends are taking the path from sinner to saint, enriching their lives with spirtuality. In that war, I think ole Lucifer has one hell of a fight on his hands.

JustMeWriting said...

wow...that's sure something to think about... and It reminds me of the Fred. Douglas quote I have posted about how we'll do any and everything to right the wrongs in distant lands, but over look the wrong before us.

The war of poverty has been going on forever and I see no end in sight, but I'm sure a change will come.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I had to think about this for a moment. Here's what I came up with.

Fighting to change maps is synonymous with gaining land, prosperity and social freedoms

Fighting to map change is like tracking change down.

It takes a lot longer to track something down as opposed to bum rushing it and overthrowing it.

Maybe the conventional wisdom is that in order to fight poverty we need to see the reward in people being free of economic oppression as we do in gaining the land and resources in other countries. In that way, we might decide to just stop taking baby steps and grab that bull by the horns.

dc_speaks said...

this was really very good Cap..

thanks for challenging us today.

Andrew The Asshole said...

the great thing about america is that you can choose not to be poor. We have more millionaires than anywhere else in the world. A war on poverty is a fight for one's mind in telling them they can be or do anything they want to be.

Wars of nations is to maintance that balance of power in your particular country's favor.

Dave J. said...

I have to disagree. Part of the swill the power elite sell us is that in America, anyone can choose to not be poor, and that you can grow up to be anything you want. Unfortunately, for millions of people that is dead wrong, and social mobility doesn't exist.

If you are disabled or handicapped, it is very probable you will be considered monetarily "poor" for the rest of your life.

Like Shai says, poverty has many levels. Compared to the 1% who run the country, even a brain surgeon would be considered poor.

There are so many conditions placed upon social success. If you happen to be in any number of minority groups (here I mean anyone that is not a healthy, well-groomed, christian, white male) you experience what is called the glass ceiling, and for some, its the concrete ceiling. Even if they play the game, they cannot win, because class based systems thrive on inequality.

We really only have two choices. We can do like Cap, and work within the system to enact social reform, slowly, and legally, or we can revolt. Thats about it.

Unknown said...

Revolt--in this day and age? Americans aren't of that mindset anymore. Even the "revolutionaries" I hear in music and read in current literature are only willing to speak loudly, posture in mass media, and grab a "crown" from the people. If slow change is CHANGE, I'm all for it.

The war on poverty is fought by guerrillas...rebels, even. There are local agencies all over the country that contribute to the needs of the poor--and fill in gaps that THE GOVERNMENT doesn't handle. I love my country, but I understand that its government is completely open in its stance to help along "UNnatural selection"--the rich get richer by snaking the poor of aid money (Google "aid to Hurricane Katrina victims") and managing the perpetuity of poverty in our country. Our government has no positive hand in the "war.

CapCity said...

Wow. I love it when I "step away" & u all get deep on me! I don't think this pondering of Wed. wisdoms requires my personal response to each individual. I just like to find quotes and see what u all "make" of it. Bet U all were surprised that Muhammad Ali is more than a brash, cocky former boxer! The more I read about that man the more I LOVE him! He truly IS the GREATEST of ALL time (besides my own parentage, of course:-).
Thanx to everyone for taking the time to offer up an opinion & thought about the quote. And welcome newbie-to-my-spot andrew.

Dave J. said...

I agree with Ced, nobody has the stomach for revolt. Things would have to get even worse than they are to push people to it.

Social reform is really the only route. And erosion is fine. If water can bore a hole through stone, than subtle action can just as easily burrow a hole through ignorance.

blogger templates | Make Money Online