Monday, May 7, 2007

What would U do if a friend asked you:

Men - to be sperm donors?

Women - to be surrogates or egg donors?


I read about this phenomena in the newspaper all of the time, but have never "known" anyone who took it seriously. Now, I'm curious. What would you do?



*click on the image for its source.

20 Comments:

KIKI said...

Dang Cap...this is kind of deep.

If it were a family member or a REALLY, REALLY good friend and I thought they would be responsible parents...I think I would.

Dave J. said...

I would have a difficult time knowing the child was of my being. If it was someone I knew real well, and she said that I couldn't let the child know that I was the father... I could not do it.

Having a daughter, and knowing the joys of that connection, I would be deeply broken if I could not share my life with a child of mine.

If it was a stranger, thats a tough call too. Look, I love myself as much as the next person, but I got issues, problems. Mental, physical, just like we all do. If I conceive a child, and raise her, then I know I can help her deal with that which I already been through, but to drop my genetics on some unwitting soul, I don't know about that.

Dangerfield said...

Wouldnt do it. Couldnt do it. How you doing Cap hope all is going well with you.

Shai said...

I would say no. Honestly, that is a part of me being raised by someone else. I would still feel responsible even if I did not birth the child. Also, pregnancy sucks for me so carrying a baby I am giving away would work either.

dc_speaks said...

thank you...but no thanks. I already have two sons of which one doesn't even live in my state anymore and that is too much to bear at times.

All that does is further break up the intended family unit. Teaching kids how to be loved in a family unit is what's missing right now. Too many broken homes.

excellent post.

JustMeWriting said...

Well, the ability to bear fruit is a gift from God that science has tampered with in EVERY way. For THAT reason I'd say no.

But on the other had...I agree with Kiki, if I KNEW they'd be a good parent, I'd feel like helping them out, but then like Shai: THAT'S A PART OF ME... LOL.. (dag Cap you got me confused)

So with all that weighed I'd say NO, and that's my FINAL answer.

CapCity said...

Kiki - yea, it's deep that a friend really approached me with this. I said no, but I now look at this phenomena differently than before.

Dave - i agree it would be tough for me to see part of me (& all my "shoes":-) living elsewhere.

Mark - I'm good thanks for asking:-).

Shai - I agree, when I experience the joys of childbearing I want to keep the child with me!

DC - Yea, "broken" homes are tough on all parties.

JMW - that science tampering bothers me, too.

Thanks for the responses! Wow! Did not expect it - this was just a question I've been wondering about & a sitcom addressed it yesterday, too. So, I brought it to The Blog & u all do not disappoint when it comes to engaging:-)

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I'd have mixed emotions. I don't think I could do it for a friend unless the agreement was that I'd be in the childs life, which as you may know, I have enough kids.

For me, if I had to do it, which i don't, it would be easier to do for someone I didn't know, because it's hard seeing you in someone and not being able to engage in their life.

Shai said...

Labor is not a joy, raising a teen is a mixed bag. LOL. There are joys in having children and there are pains. One child is enough for me. SMH.

CapCity said...

Rich, u better get your 'tubes' tied. lol! don't be surprised if one of your single female friends asks u. i was surprised when a friend asked - but their reasons were sound, i just don't want to bear a child unless it's for my husband - call me selfish, but that's what i believe The Creator built me for.

Shai - it's unfortunate that your labor was less than pleasant. Females in my family have had a range of experiences & i'm built most like the aunt whose babies slid into this world. I also have several friends who LOVED being pregnant and everything about the entire birth process. Those are the type of people I'll be surrounding myself with when I am so blessed;-).

Shai said...

Actually, pregnancy was hell for me, morning sickness all day for 3 months, lost over 10 pounds, I was extra moody, BF was acting idiot until the last trimester. All this and still had over a 3.5 and a full load of classes. I found out that my pressure was up. It was way too emotional and stressful for me. Labor was bad at the end, went in at 8am and had her at 6pm.

You hear about the Duggar family they are going on child #17! Yikes.

CapCity said...

It's when I hear stories like yours Shai, that I thank God for these child-bearing hips and practice my yoga religiously;-). I have an distant relative who had 13 children last time I saw the family. I may not bear that many, but I will thank The Creator for all fruits I am blessed to bring forth.

Shai said...

I find it cute those who have not birthed yet think they got a plan. LOL.

I LOVE my daughter it has been some interesting times. I just deep down don't want to raise another child. Ironically, I used to dream of a family, a husband and 2 or 2 kids. Now, I am not feeling or yearning for it.

JustMeWriting said...

OOHH-CAP: I just noticed the song links you have on the side and that Ohio Players "Heaven" is one of my ALL TIME FAVS...next to the Gap Band's "Yearning" ...just thought I'd say that.

CapCity said...

In the beginning was the word, Shai;-). I know in order to make God laugh, tell her your plans. I'm just praying and looking to examples of sistahs who embraced and enjoyed the birthing process. I am also thankful that several of the women who share my genes had easy births. I will do what I can to maintain & prepare God's temple then the rest is in God's hands. If The Creator sees fit for me to be a 50 year old first time mother & new version of Sarah - who am I to be the mortal to defy God's law? It's no longer about what I want. I'm just here living and praying that I serve the Kingdom as well as I can.

Yea, JMW - I do LOVE that Heavenly song by the Ohio players:-)

Unknown said...

No question. Friendship, as some may feel a credit card does, "has its privileges."

denea marcel said...

there is only one person for whom i'd volunteer my body in such an intimate way.

CapCity said...

Ced, I don't know any friends who have that kind of privilege with ME. The only Friend to use THIS body for a birthing station will be that Husband/SoulMate/Friend.

Ms. D - where U been, sis? good of u to drop IN!

Cortney Gee and The Celebrity Cane Corsos said...

as many times as I have donated sperm to or wasted on women that I could care less about drunken on double jacks ... a friend or family member wouldn't be asking much of me ...

CapCity said...

Cortney, U r funnee as HALE! LOL! But u're honest enough to admit something that we know goes on, but few want to admit to:-)

blogger templates | Make Money Online