Monday, January 14, 2008

Here's a movie U need to purchase: Buck & The Preacher!

If you're too young to remember this in your local theater U need to make it your business to
check your local library to view a copy and/or just straight purchase a copy! If you're blessed to have been privy to this before - then U know I "speak" the truth. U can't beat historical entertainment that also educates;-).

Quick story: U may have "heard" it but it still crax me up & since this is my blog I'm gonna tell it anyway and since I'm posting an old movie it came to mind;-):
Y'all know I tend to like my mens young (well, they step to me, so it must be mutual;-). But, the FUN.EEE.est conversation I ever had w/ one of my youngstahs:
He asked about the last movie I'd seen. It's a running joke w/ my sibs & I that the response to that question is: "Cooley High." So, when I gave him my typical response he didn't laugh it off as most of my generation do. He looked at me closely and asked,"You saw that in the theater??"
Don't tell him, but I think my parents took us to see Buck and The Preacher at a local Drive-In movie theater. Do any of you remember Drive-Ins when they were entertainment for the entire family? Mannn, those were the days!


12 Comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi CapCity,
I like the movie but I missed it. I was not able to see it. Too bad for me. It sure looks pretty good. Thanks for the wonderful post. God bless and have a wonderful and pleasant day in the US always.

Unknown said...

I know that you shun cable TV, but AMC on DirecTV and most regional cable companies is a great source for films that show US in more than the usual roles. Of course, most of OUR older movies play during the late-night time slots, but a DVD recorder or a DVR helps to protect precious sleep! I watched the end of this movie on that channel last year!

nikki said...

you know, drive ins are making the come back. here in the atl, everybody's going to the drive ins, me included. it takes me back to a time in my life when the only worry i had was trying to figure out what outfit to wear to school the next day. plus you can bring your own weed, uh, i mean, your own food.

Anonymous said...

You know I am here hollering at Cooley High!! Why did you scare that boy?

I used to love going to the drive-in's in Cali. That was the highlight of visiting my grandmother.

Muze said...

cracking UP at his response. lol.

cooley high was the jizunk though.

we still have three drive-in's here in michigan and yes, my mother used to take us all the time. man, those were the days.

love your blog lady!

Shai said...

The only drive-in in Michigan is right outside Detroit not to far from me. Funny how most folks I know here don't balk at the drive-in. Others will ask: "Drive-in? They still have those." LOL.

I must be too young, I don't think I remember this movie.

CapCity said...

Mel - it's available on Amazon if you're interested;-). U have a blessed day, also!

Ced - I shun paying for ANYthing I won't use fully;-) -or- that will SUCK up my time in order for me to use it & get my money's worth;-). It's more beneficial on my wallet & time to purchase what I want;-). But U enJOY for me;-).

Nikki - u r a mess! i have seen online that there are a few drive-ins in operation that show family movies - but they're mostly LONG drives from where I am:-(.

Amn.eris! I didn't mean to scare the chile;-). Every time I THINK of his face/reaction I CRACK up all OVAH again! yea, drive-ins were a life highlite!

Muze - see? i figured u'd be one too young to understand the drive-in concept. glad u also enjoyed them;-). And Thanx Miss Lady for the compliment on my humble blog-abode;-).

Shai - B&P came out in 1972 - So, yea, u're too young - but if u rent it or catch it on late nite cable it will remind u of Ms. B's historicals (well, without the intense love scenes;-).

Xcentric Pryncess said...

I am gonna have to check it out, heard of it but never saw it!

soumynona said...

Capc, I haven't been to the drive-in, in a grip. The last time i went tho, I cant recall seeing too much movie (wink, wink) There's something about being at a drive-in that brings out the exhibitionist in me

Suldog said...

I used to love going to the drive-in when I was a kid. My folks would have us (me and my friends) wear our pajamas. There was a little playground by the screen, so there'd be all kinds of kids there before the movies started, on swings and slides and such, in their nightclothes! Some of us would last the whole night, others would fall asleep in the back seat of the car - thus the pajamas!

The one constant I remember from any drive-in was that the food they sold there was HORRIBLE!

Anonymous said...

Girl I'm witcha! I've seen and know BOTH those movies. I remember Harry Belafonte having some JACKED UP teeth!

You could have bought me for a quarter when I read what the kid said about seeing Cooley High in the theatres. That's priceless!

CapCity said...

XP - Hey Sis! I think U'll LOVE it;-).

Soumy - Boo - I get the feeling you're an exhibitionist every chance u get. LOL!

SulDog - Wuz up, Cuz?;-) I used to LOVE getting to the movies early & going to the playground. We, also had our PJs on & my parents put blankets on top of the car & turned the speakers up loud so we could lounge on the roof! I don't recall the food, too much cuz mom always prepared plenty for us. We used to beg to go to the concession stand for SOMEthing, ANYthing -- just for the novelty of it! LOL!!

Bro G - when i first watched it again this wk I initially thought: I know they didn't have braces for teeth back then - then they showed a close up of Belafonte & I thought EWWWW! LOL! Yea, that young man's reaction was TRULY priceless! ;-)

blogger templates | Make Money Online