Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thankful Thursdays [4 of 50]

Twenty of the 1000 Things I'm Thankful I've Experienced in My Lifetime:

61) THIS wonderful Head full of HAIR I've been blessed with!

62) One of my moma's gift to me on my fifth b'day was: NOT COMBING my hair. It's one of my most memorable child hood gifts! LOL! We used to tussle every TIME she had to comb my hair! The quality of the photo didn't scan so well - but u can see I'm the well dressed li'l girl with hair all over her head! LOL! I still recall that day vividly: I sat between my mother's knees in anguish as always: crying, fretting, whining. Then as if by some miracle my mother's knees released and she said, "Happy Birthday! It's your birthday!" Swwwweeeeetttt!

63) Having a sister who was a trained & excellent hair stylist! She used to hook me UP in the eighties with the flyest Asymmetrics! LOL! I was a hair trend setter: I had the ideas and that sister made them happen! Other girls had one V at the back - I layered mine into three V's. Then, I cut a V over one eye - wouldn't you know it - Prince chose that same style afterwards. One of the flyest cuts I had I admit I borrowed from the surfer dudez in college: I got my sister to shave ALL of my hair except for the left side which was eye length... you couldn't tell me I wasn't fierce! I'll have to scan more of my hair photos & show ya one day;-).

64) I also have a nice shaped head - if I ever have to go bald I will not be devastated. I'm presently blessed with lots of hair. I used to wear my hair extremely close in college. My hair is now the longest it's been since I was a child. When I decide to cut it off again, I plan to share the wealth & donate my hair for cancer patients' wigs.

65) The fact that my moma taught us that ALL hair is "good" hair! The statement: "You got GOOD HAIR!" - has always made me feel uncomfortable - and don't really like to have people fawn over my hair - but I do relish hair compliments and don't take them lightly because I am thankful for this blessed crown.

66) I have had some great head massages by loving men in my past. My head is a serious erogenous zone! Luv it when a man (who I'm diggin') plays in my hair.

67) That my head is "more than a hat/wig rack" - as my Daddy often encouraged: "Use your head for more than a hat rack!" I'm thankful that I enjoy a wide variety of books & authors for all age ranges: a mere FEW include = Victor Frankl, MOST Black Authors of the Renaissance & Civil Rights period (Langston Hughes, Alain Locke, Lorraine Hansberry, Nikki Giovanni, Angela Davis, etc.), Edgar Allen Poe, Judy Blume, Mildred Taylor, etc.

68) When I've been able to let my hair down & really cut UP - especially dancing! I love to dance & feel blessed that I can!

69) I enjoyed performing the viola in the DC Youth orchestra when I was in junior high school. Also, I've enjoyed reading my poetry & fiction in front of live audiences as an adult.

70) I've enjoyed so many wonderful, LIVE music performances: my two eldest nephews in the DC youth orchestra -- the eldest played the upright bass, and the younger continues to play the flute (looking forward to what the baby nephew will play/perform). Of course, I enjoyed - DC's Go-Go Bands: Chuck Brown, Rare Essence, Trouble Funk, E. U., JunkYard, etc. along with: Prince, Janet Jackson, Luther Vandross, Gerald LaVert, Maxwell, Eric Roberson, Cassandra Wilson, Me'shell Ndegeocello, Atlantic Star, Midnight Starr, Doug E. Fresh & Slick Rick, Anita Baker, Wynton Marsalis & his band, Abbey Lincoln & her amazing young band, Destiny's Child, Alicia Keyes, John Legend, The Temptations (the original when I was a wee child;-), Patti Labelle, Nona Hendryx, Jerry Butler, Gene Chandler, Al Green, Maxi Priest, Brenda Russell, George Duke, Rachelle Farrell, Chaka Khan, Angela Bofill, Frankie Beverly & Maze, Roy Ayers, Diana Ross, Dee Dee Bridgewater, several symphony orchestra performances, and others I can't recall at the moment...

71) The health & strength that allows me to care for myself! Though I may not be an athlete & never have been physically competitive I was most proud when I successfully ran USN's Battle Stations as the culminating activity required to graduate boot camp in my early thirties. I felt like the tortoise who ran slow & steady that early morning!

72) Regardless of this embarrassing, frustrating medical issue that was the reason for my honorable discharge from the USN I continue to be grateful for God's easy way to keep me humble & motivated to take GOOD care of my health!

73) Despite my struggles to find clothing which fits my figure - I luv that I have inherited a figure that is a wonderful blend of both my parents: My father's slender upper body and my mother's ample lower half;-). No matter what my weight's fluctuation I have learned my figure is consistent in it's proportion.

74) Confidence in knowing that I am able to restore my strength & health through exercise and "aware" eating. This requires constant work and I understand now that there IS no quick fix: only consistency and commitment. Also blessed that I give myself less grief for being human and falling off track...yet firm enough to stay the course.

75) Ran an easy paced mile and a half with my Daddy! His encouragement was priceless.

76) Have run with each of my sisters! It was a great way to visit and motivate each other.

77) Gone for walks with my Moma! Her dogged determination is inspirational.

78) Enjoyed swimming with my Eldest nephew on many occasions. He's truly a water baby. Quick favorite swimming memory: He was hanging out with me when he was about 3 and my sister was scheduled to meet us at the pool that particular day: DC's Capital East for those familiar. My nephew never liked the baby pool and would whine & fret if we dared take him to it. After playing with him and teaching him to blow bubbles under water I begged him to sit on the edge of the pool and watch me swim one lap. He's an intelligent child who spoke in full sentences early, so I knew he understood me. I got to the other end of the pool and looked up expecting to wave to him. He was nowhere in sight! My heart raced as I swam my fastest back to the spot where I left him - thinking that I'd jump out of the pool and run to find him the locker rooms. I got back to that spot and he was under the water! I grabbed him up and he happily spewed water out like a li'l fountain and laughed while I recovered from my "heart attack"!

79) Watching my Middle nephew run like the wind! That child is truly built to run. Watching him run is like watching him breathe - so fluid and easy!

80) Dancing with the Baby nephew - he is the li'l dancing machine! Whenever we put on music he seems to lose the ability to control himself. Generally, he and his elder brother stick together: reserved and watchful in front of company. But, when music is on the baby comes into his own and his brother can't help nor stop him! LOL!


The First Thankful Thursday [1-20].
Second Thankful Thursday [21-40].
Third Thankful Thursday [41-60].

15 Comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

What a wonderful posts of blessings!

I love Abbey Lincoln! Roy Aires---everybody loves the sunshine! We like the same artists.

Thanks for sharing YOU!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

lurking -- bring me some go-go also if you make 12Kyle a CD

KIKI said...

I love my hair, too! (although it does piss me off that I have to continually argue with folks that it is NOT a weave *smdh*) And a good head message...OOOOOOO CHILE! shut yo mouf!LOL

People think I'm crazy because I absolutely, positively will not let a woman do my hair...only men. Why? 'Cause my head is an erogenous zone for me too...and I feel funny gettin turned on at the shampoo bowl while Shequita is shampooin my hair. LOL

That, plus everytime I've let a woman do my hair, ole jealous heffas always try to cut me bald!

I dont get those women who tell a man dont touch their hair while gettin busy...shooooo...I thought that was the main purpose of gettin yo hair did...so that ole boys fanga's dont get caught up when he grabs you by the back of the head and...well...you know...

dejanae said...

awww
love this list
*goin to check the posts ive missed*

Mizrepresent said...

Love this list, and the pic of the family.

I had a male shampooer once, he used to massage my head while shampooing and i swear i would have a dayum orgasm right there in the seat...it was alot like those "Herbal Essences" commmercials....ahhha, ahhhha, ahhahh...he got really good tips!

rethots said...

Hmmm....interesting idea. You know, until we actually sit to think (or write out) things to be greatful for.....we'll probably think we have none.

Anonymous said...

Yeah....you didn't mention meeting me in your Radio Show! Hmmmm....What's up wit Dat?
You gits no KISSES!

Anonymous said...

WOW. What a post. girl you have some hair lol. thats real interesting the simple fact that you weren't afraid to try new things even better a trend setter. I'm just starting to do this thing.. just take myself away from the whole common hair thing.. so far so good.. i love my "red" afro!

Thats a cute story @ baby nephew...

CapCity said...

LoveB - thanx for reading ME, Sis;-)!

Rich - Bruh, will do what i can;-)!

Kiki - gurrrll, the brother who used to do my hair in DC had "magic" handz...since i moved to nyc - i haven't really found a stylist just a country sistah who says she LUVS to "play in my hayah". LOL!

Dejanae - glad u like, li'l sis;-).

Miz - thanx, Sis & I KNOW tha's RIGHT! ;-)

rethots - that's why i started this list - to remind mySELF that I REALLY AM blessed with SPECIFIC experiences not just the generic, ya know!;-)

T-Ohhh - u know to blame my head & not my heart -- though it would've been EXTRA spesh if u'd called INTO my show;-). So, what do U think about MY LIST? maybe u need one so u'll know how blessed u ALREADY r;-).

D'lee - back in da day e'ryBODY was takin' hair chances - it was the thang to do! That stylist sistah of mine had her hair colored so many different ways we nevah knew what color she'd "be" when we woke up each morning! LOL! Thanx, Sis - yea - them's my HEARTs there! :-)

Just Kel said...

Love the list.

I really like #66. There is nothing like having your head stroked with a strong hand.

Have a wonderful weekend!

angela said...

and i am thankful for YOu! and like ms kiki, i love my hair too, even though the medication f's with it like a mofo! lol!! eys, we are all kindred spirits - those of us who love a good firm head massage to get us, um, er, 'going...', that may e one of my favorite ways to kick it off! ha!!

Calder said...

Loved reading these CapCity...

God bless. Keep smiling!

CapCity said...

Ms.KiA - U KNOW tha's the TRUFF = nothing like the touch of a strong hand! glad u like the list, Sis;-)

CapCity said...

Awww, Thanx, Sistah Princess! u r a HILARIOUS source of inspiration;-)!!

CapCity said...

Thank ya, Dear Calder! glad u enjoyed it & i'm taking your smiles advice more & more!

blogger templates | Make Money Online