Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thankful Thursdays [6 of 50]

Twenty of the 1000 Things I'm Thankful I've Experienced in My Lifetime:

101) That I'm celebrating my Daddy's birthday with him TODAY!

102) That I celebrated my Mom's birthday with her in December;-).

103) We experienced a scare a couple of years back when my Mom's thyroid became hyperactive and she lost a ton of weight without trying - almost as if she were literally melting. Since that time, I made a vow to spend every birthday with them! I'm thankful that I've been able to keep that vow.

104) I am ETERNALLY thankful that my life has been filled with EASY lessons - at least physically. Men have been gentle with me, I've never been in any major brawls or beat downs ... I do not take that for granted. I have been trained to protect myself - but like my lifeguard training -- am thankful I've never needed it.

105) When I look around at the lives of others I know that I am extremely blessed! I may not have everything (or everyONE: mate, living grandparents, close knit extended family, etc.) I desire - but I am SO thankful for all the luxuries in life I DO have & all of the loving connections with folk that I DO experience (both parents, all siblings & nephews, close with some of my extended relatives, blessed with great friends, etc.).

106) I enjoy my NOWs and dwell not on the ... "it would be better if"s....

107) When I read my poetry & prose at gatherings I consciously experience myself slowing my breath & allowing myself to relish in the moment ... and enjoy the poem or prose again. When I read last Saturday at Organized Noise's event I actually "left" the room full of people looking at me during that last poem. Instead, I entered into the room where the poem took place in my own imagination and it felt good... I always experience that as a silent reader of others' works - that was the first time I experienced that while reading aloud from my own work.

108) Peace with my place in life. Knowing I have work to do and looking forward to that, too.

109) If I could break down all of the myriad of experiences that I had during that short seven months in The USN: Boot Camp, F.I.T. division, Separations, T.H.U. - each taught me so much about me & my relationships with others! Even as a "cog" in the human grinding military machine - connecting with people is still most important!! My people personality & sense of humor saved my life (& continues to save me as a "civilian";-)!

110) Hanging out with my sisters when we were young. We used to venture all OVAH DC! Hanging out on Georgia Avenue, on Wisconsin Avenue & M sts. in Georgetown, etc. And mannn, we used to walk everywhere like it was nothing: car or not - we were always on the move! Going to Go-Go's with them was fun, too. Those were good times!

111) Summer free concerts in the parks! DC ALWAYS had something going on for free! Lots of Go-Go Bands live (up at Emory Park, out in NorfEas' somewhere, or down on Southern Avenue;-). Free Jazz at Fort Dupont Park - with blankets, coolers filled with plenty to eat & drank;-).

112) FESTS & other outdoor events: RiverFest, Black Family Reunion on The Mall, Block parties, carnivals, etc.

113) Road trips with my crew! It was so live going from college to college: AggieFest, Step shows & games at Hampton, Norfolk State, JMU, Va. State, etc.

114) LABOR DAY '88 in Va. Beach!! It was on & crack-a-lackin'!! That ENTIRE WEEKEND was ONE NON-STOP parrrrTAYYYY! Whew! Even the riotous events of that Monday did not dampen the blassttt that we had that weekend! Man, we partied with the "up & coming" stars of that day: EPMD, Kid & Play, Heavy D, etc. & I DO mean partied WITH - they were in the crowds groovin' with us!

115) Cook - OUTS!! Food on the grill is da Balm diggity! Corn, grilled veggies, sKrimps, etc. with an ice cold brew, some jokahs with plenty of stories & laughs ... it don't get much bettah than that;-)

116) Have had picnics, gone to beaches & paddle boated in a cute li'l flirty dress with a sweetie

117) Amusement parks were the THANG in H.S. & College! Used to be fun to meet guys & ride the roller coaster with them, if they were cool we'd spend the rest of the time in the park with them.

118) Taking the subway to H.S. and flirting on the way to school! Meeting up with my girls, talkin' smack, etc. Would be early to meet them & still end up late for school - so busy socializing! LOL! We were glad we didn't have to wear uniforms to our private school - so, the boys didn't know where we went until we told them.

119) Sweet experience of my first boyfriend following me home from school and worked up his nerve to speak and get my number. He was the CUTEST!

120) I'm moving forward! My identity/ego isn't tied to a vehicle. I loved the MINI as much as I loved my: VW Bug, VW Fox, VW GTI. Each of those babies were special to me & provided great service and miles of smiles. Now, I'm excited to be CoROLLin':

Click onto image for source.

The First Thankful Thursday [1-20].
Second Thankful Thursday [21-40].
Third Thankful Thursday [41-60].
Fourth Thankful Thursday [61-80].
Fifth Thankful Thursday [81-100]

12 Comments:

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Corolla? No more Mini? Wha? I missed out on the era?

Well this post is a nice bit of sunshine!

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

I have a Toyo and i absolutely love it!

i love your gratitude list, life deepens and expands with our gratitude and thanks giving...

Rich Fitzgerald said...

U got rid of the MINI!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. LOL!

Suldog said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Unknown said...

Congrats and love to your father on his born-day. I think we should have a ceremony for the Mini, Cap. I need a ship's horn to go off while someone announces over the 1MC:

Mini...departing.

Enjoy that Corolla, lady!

Nicole said...

#119 is cute...but nowadays he'd be arrested for stalking.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cap... what's up Lady? The photos are on my new site. Lens Flare Photography Group... You can link to it from my site, in the major media blogs section... My Bad... :0)

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi CapCity,
Thanks for appreciating the award I gave you. You really deserve that award. Yes, there are so many things we ought to be thankful for if only we will open our eyes and look around us. The Lord has been so good to all of us. Thanks for the positive post. God bless you and your loved ones always my friend.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

happy belated bday to daddy

Organized Noise said...

No more mini?! On behalf of my knees, I say thank you. . . Now when did you say we were going to Connecticut? :-)

jac said...

Saw the full list :)and I am smiling cap.

Happy Birtday to your Dad !!

CapCity said...

2nd 68 - thanx! glad i shine a li'l lite in your life;-).

Aunt J - everyone tells me I'll love my toyota;-). thanx, this weekly list has improved my perspective!

Rich - yep, time for 4 doors. LOL!

SulDog - thanx! we had a great time:-).

NewCed - thanx! U funny - a ceremony! LOL!

Nicole - I KNOW that's RIGHT! LOL! He was the last man who could enjoy THAT priviledge;-).

T-Oh - thanx, hun!

Mel - thanx! u r a dear.

T-Dawg - thanx;-)

O.N. - u & my parents are most welcomed for the extra leg room;-). LOL! We need to get our calendars out & coordinate;-).

Jac - thanx! U make me smile, too;-).

blogger templates | Make Money Online