Toldjall '08 would be great! Began the Summer of '08 with a FUN-TASTIC weekend!!
Started off by whizzin' down into HARLEM World on Friday at around 4pm-ish to pick up Sistah Babz from 125th street's Metro North station. First stop, a bite to eat at Strictly Roots vegetarian spot, where I had to ask old dude sitting on the curb politely if he'd mind my parking in front. He obliged by moving his feet;-). His crew began to ask questions about the MINI, while curb-sitter asked us to get him a burger. I wasn't mad at him: Strictly Roots' burgers are Da BALM!! LOL! They took owner-ship of Li'l Red by leaningall over her and inspecting her closely as Babz & I proceeded inside for a li'l something to take the edge off so we could enjoy our stroll through Harlem without the agitation brought on by belly-growls;-).
We cruised along 125th stopping in various stores that caught our attention as we headed toward our destination: Hue-Man BookStore. The weather brought everybody out and there was much to see! I felt like an owl as I tried to see everythang and e'rybody. Babz and I laughed about one water-selling entrepreneur who'd rigged up a mop handle to hold a bottle of water and a bucket to collect the money from the roof-top bus riders on double decker buses! I'm sure the Brother also had rigged up a noose in case any of those riders attempted to take his water without paying! LOL!
As we made our way back toward the car a brother in dark shades stepped in front of me. Now, I was being nosey, watching everything else, not paying him any real attention other than to step out of his way. But, he seemed to stumble and step in front of me again. I finally looked at him closely ready to snap on his azz when I realized it was a comedian that I have a secret crush on! I mentioned him on my list of comedians I'm thankful to have seen perform. Now, I've got a picture with: Capone! Can you tell I'm happy to be there? LOL!

My good friend, DKM joined us, we finished our appetizers and drinks then strolled a few blocks north to Nectar, Harlem's first wine bar (that I know of;-). Eb told us that wine wasn't her thing (... yet - she's still youthful & loving the head-kick of likker;-). That didn't stop her from taking notes on the selections that Beth brought to us. Big UPS to Nectar's own - Beth and Nigel: Beth was our guide (or sommelier;-) for the evening and Nigel brought us snacks as the night drew on. Nectar's is a cozy li'l spot that seems to draw ladies, couples on dates and gentlemen with a softer side. Eb cut out to join her party people ... maybe a bit too early as a young cutie did come in with a birthday celebration. He sat beside us and engaged in more conversation with us than he did his own party. I certainly enjoyed his testosterone inflected conversation;-). Howevah, I'm sure there were puh-lenty of cuties wherever Eb and her crew ended up;-).


On our way north to The Boogie Down, Babz asked if I were a morning person ... after getting home at 2am: Hayl Nawl! I was just glad she could entertain herself when I heard her "non-morning" self get up at 8 in THE MORNING! LOL!
I finally got up at 9:30ish since I didn't wanna sleep her time away;-). We got it together, had brunch at a local diner then headed to The City (as Manhattan is called in these pahts;-). We ended up hanging out in SoHo - popping into various shops, such as: Crate & Barrel, Kenneth Cole, Prada (I tried on a pair of masterpieces that I'll go back for when I'm able to spend $700 on ONE pair of shoes;-), and Room & Board. Eric of Room & Board told us about a nearby wine bar, when we asked where to go for refreshments;-). Of course, we had to venture over and try Vintage New York! Their fish sandwich was quite tasty on whole grain bread. The chips were a bit too oily, but I polished them off to counter the effects of the wine;-). I do have a suspicion that they're the same owners as the Harlem Vintage, so I'll have to investigate a bit more;-).
We floated back to the car, headed north on Hudson River parkway and arrived at Organized Noise's Fund Raiser - Liquid Lyrics: Words Over Manhattan at 135th & Riverside Drive by 8pm. I was SOOO excited that my girl E.J. was able to meet us there! She hung out with us Wicked Women: Babz & I on the lovely rooftop as we waited for the readings to begin. FYI: I discovered the Trattatoria where Eb the Celeb's Wednesday Happy Hours are held! It's located just below the overlook of O.N.'s selected location! What a coinky-dink!


Oh! Lance did call as we were heading north. He spoke to Babz & we're planning a day trip to CT at some point;-). Stay tuned for Brown Bloggers Take over CT. LOL!
Thanx again to Organized Noise for giving me the opportunity to showcase my works. Big Thanx to Sistah Camille who purchased a copy of my poetry booklet! It was fun to meet the other writers, too. In the group flick below from left to right: Organized Noise, Isaiah, me;-), Joseph & Tameka.


The only other blogger who made herself known to me was the mysterious-no-photos-please Blah, Blah, Blah. Was NICE meetin' ya & getting a hug, Sis! Hmmm, Organized Noise - u gotta do a bettah job of introducing bloggers - I see at your spot that SEVERAL others were in the house that I have yet to meet (& their profiles don't have photos - so, I couldn't pounce;-)! Learned that the one Brother who came out to the deck to talk to us is also a blogger: Will.
Of course, we had to have a night-cap;-). Babz and I met my girl, DKM and her man, RL at our local watering hole in da Bronx: F&J Pine (Wow! I just discovered they've got a working website, now - check it out;-)! ALL of our favorite bartenders & wait staff were in da House, so Babz got the full flavor of why we love that place! She even got her mack on with a PapiChulo!
As "they" say, all great things must come to an end. When Mama Babz gently called my name before 9am the next morning I knew she was ready to get home to her babies. I redeemed myself by going to church after dropping Sistah Babz off at the station. Glad I could be part of your first Blog-Meet weekend, Sistah Babz!
So, there U have it - my Fun-tastic Blogger Meet Weekend ... may this summer be FILLED with them;-)!


30 Comments:
Girl you don't play. You be getting around. I likes that though. And next time I'm in the area, you have got to take me to Strictly Roots so I can get my vegetation on=) That "balm" burger sounds delish!!
As you know you were my first blogger I ever met! Of course my security detail was all over me, tracking me and making sure of my safety and you didn't seem to mind it at all!
Sister, You know I had a fab time! Thanks for sharing the story...you are a great writer!
The Prada shoes were HOT! Shit yes, I would have bought them for you if I could!
It was truly a good time had by all!
looks like y'all had fun.
i gotta make it to nyc this summer.
Glad you and Babz could make it out Saturday night and thanks again for performing. Look forward to hearing more from you next time. . . and there will be a next time.
Now what is this about going to CT? I'm down.
Damn... a cutie came in after I left... damn!
Did he make my height requirement... dang... I cant believe I missed the young hottie...
why didn't you take a picture and post that instead of that pic of me taking notes...lol
or you could have least got his number for me... I thought you had my back Cap...lol
Jewells - next time u gonna have to stay closer to the city;-). yup, strictly roots' burger is a MUST!
Love - your security detail was being followed by my security forces. LOL! glad u had a blast;-). gotta see if i can find a photo of those shoes online. thanx 4 the luv!
12k - these flix don't tell the half! nyc is a must - specially in the Fall for the BD, vol 1 FINAL TOUR STOP;-).
O.N. - yea, i'll be there next time! & i'll do a better job of promoting AND drawing out any bloggers in da house;-). yea, we're gonna take over CT at some point this summer! Babz has NO iDEA what she's started. lol!
Eb - Sis, no he didn't meet ANY of YOUR requirements now that i think on it - but he was QUITE refreshing up in that piece! LOL! i kept thinkin' i shoulda took a flick of him for my own enjoyment - but didn't wanna look like the Old Lady Lech. LOL! & u look so cute & serious in that picture;-).
**mad cause I wasn't there to kick it with y'all**
We need to set that fall date so I can get ready for NYC.
Yeah, I'm with Rich...y'all need to go on and set that date so that Ms. Just Write Now can be sure to be in the spot!!! I didn't even need to read this post to know that YOU CAP are the hostess with the mostest!! So since y'all already know a sistah is jealous as hell and anxious to get the show on the roll so she can get over her hateration and start anticipating the blog meet-up of a lifetime, y'all needs to just set the dang date. So let's have that date already...can we? ;b
P.S. Babz I expect you to be back and in full effect as well and I truly don't want to hear no two ways about it!!! ;)
**mad cause I wasn't there to kick it with y'all** What Rich said...
Hold up! What you mean "didn't wanna look like the Old Lady Lech."? What? I gotta roll like that by my lonesome? I'm and Old Lech, you're an Old Lech, he's an Old Lech, she's an Old Lech! Wouldn't you like to be an Old Lech too?
I miss all the fun. LOL.
Why did I say CAP and CAPone looked to cute together when I saw the pic? LOL.
Rich - don't get mad - get prepared for a FUN-FILLED, exhausting WEEKEND! Tell wifey NOOOOO suburban MALL trips when she visits:i REQUIRE HER TO STAY & SHOP in the five NYC proper boroughs. LOL! of course, i'm scopin' spots & resources for the event;-).
Sharon - i know i cayn't speak for Babz but i'm SAY it: SHE'LL BE HERE! Now, U MAKE sure you're well & RESTED cuz we MAY need to make it an extended weekend;-).
2nd 68 - i think u & wifey need to plan to be here, too! e'rybody needs a nyc get-away to revive the marriage;-). and uh, it's okay to be a married lech - but a single lech is scary...don'tcha think? LOL @ me quantifying & justifying;-)...
Shai - save your pennies & come thru in the Fall! Detroit's NO where from NYC - i drove it: TWICE! And yea, i think we're cute together, too - even he said: "We look like a couple & shyt." LOL! I think we both have a crush on each other;-). LOL!!
Looks like a good time. I need to do one of these blogger weekends. LOL.
Wow! Look at all the fun you had in such a short amount of time! I really miss visiting New York. My mom and brother live there, so it's always nice to see the family. But I'm a country girl, here in Atlanta, (smile). And I enjoy every minute of it, lol. But continue to enjoy your life and live it to the fullest. OH, by the way, thank you for stopping by my blog. I will be sure to visit you again. Take care!
Kei
http://therevealedoasis.blogspot.com
It's so good to see your pics. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to any of the events this weekend :( and I really wanted to!
You guys are all sooooo beautiful and I know you had such a good time.
VROOOOOM! I forgot how you get down for a weekend! I'll remember to take my vitamins when you visit the Left Coast! LOL! Lani says hi, by the way.
Ohh Weee that sounds like a good time had by all. Gosh I miss living in a place where I can be around more beautiful black people who are creative...
I'll be there at the end of August, but probably damn near drop dead tired from working but I'm always a sucker for a good time!
OK, ALL are welcome to CT.
I am a morning person by default...I have 4 kids...I am trained to be up early...LOL! I must say it waw nice gettingup at my own pace and not have little ones looking for breakfast!
Capcity is the ultimate Road Warrior. She can whip that mini-cooper through all kinds of NYC traffic and park it like nobody's business and she can walk around like it's hiking in the woods. My kind of Sister!
She is a great hostess and a real Woman's woman! You know those real GROWN WOMAN TYPES! Never whines about shyt just keeps it moving! And I mean we rolled into Prada like we owned it! and into Michael Kors the same way. We were at home wherever we went. The prices didn't face us, the other shoppers didn't phase us...we were looking good and feeling good and WE KNEW IT!
Hell yes I will be back in the FALL when Er'body rolls in! NYC in the Fall is amazing!
Wifey said it was a nice trip and she loved going "discount" shopping when she was there. I gotta make it there one time before I die. Just to see the city once... Who knows. Maybe I will be driving and do one of my famous night rides through the place... or better yet riding a bike!
Oh, and the qualifying and justifying ain't convincing...
Dang, i swear i left a comment last night on this post, blogger be bugging, but what i said was, i hate i missed it, and i'll be there again to enjoy it...i so love Dawson's INk, ummm Wil, he was one of the first blogs i followed...i'm in awe! lol! Can't wait to hook up with Lovebabz and whomever i haven't met, but you know sis i'll be swinging thru NYC, like George of the Jungle lady...this you can count on!
I was there...You were performing your poem..Bloopty was outside trying to convince me to stay..what I heard was niiiice....: )
omg, I love Frankie & Johnny's (before they got all uppity & changed the name lol) In HS we had all our sports dinners there. Glad you guys had fun!
Delighted to know you are at the top of spirits.
Why am I not around your part of the world ?
TC
TravelD - u DOO! keep your eye-peeled for the Fall signing of Bloggers' Delight, vol 1 in NYC! We're gonna take OVAH;-)
Kei - too bad i missed u when we had our blog-meet BD signing in da ATL. I'll be back the 1st wkend in Aug. - maybe i can meetcha then!
Ms KiA - this won't be the last time;-) u'll be able to make SOMEthing in the near future!
NewCed - u KNOW i'm like a cat ...chilling until I needs to get it ROARRING!! ;-) u KNOW why u really need those vitamins, bruh;-). LOL! Heyyyy, Mamacita Lani!
Aunt J - lemme know when u're coming to nyc. if i'm here we can at least have a drank & share a laugh!
Love - thanx, Sis! I'm humbled & honored by your kind words.
2nd 68 - not sure u wanna roll thru here on a bike - btwn. the DAYUM potholes and fool drivers - u need four walls to protect ya! & ummm, hee hee hee - not convinced, huh?
Miz - yea - blogger been trippin' - but what can ya do? LOL! i can't WAIT 'til u come back - so we can cut up AGAIN! your daughter may duck us! LOL!
Mr.S - i know to LOOK out for u next time! thanx 4 the luv;-)
Kieyah - yea, Gurl they REAL High-Falutin' NOW! they even accept plastic!! u gotta come by & have a drank w/ me (u old enough to drink?;-). LOL!
Jac - yes, I am going to ride this HIGH for as long as it'll carry me! if your travels ever bring u to this metropolis we MUST meet!
LOL yes i am legal (just barely) & will do
man
i always be missing the good stuff
hmph
sigh
next time
sounds like it was fun
I be taking picture!
I just can't be knowin' you takin it...lol
Girl! This sounds like you had the best time!! I so wish I was there to experience it.
I was lucky enough to be in the presence of some wonderful poets and spoken word artists this weekend at an event at a local bookstore and it was fabulous.
I'm going to have to look you guys up on my next trip to NY.
balling
u curse never lol
This looks like such a good time! And I so want to try out Melba's! Let me know about the CT event. I'd like to try and make it.
Kieya - Good, I don't wanna be accused of corruptin' folk. LOL!
Dejanae - then i'll see u at Eb's July Happy Hour;-).
Blah3 - u didn't NEED to tell me that, so don't get mad when your picture appears here;-). LOL!
Diva - we DID have as much fun as it sounds;-). Now, u GOTTA look me up when u r in The Apple!
T-Dawg - u funny!! lol!
Anali - I'll definitely keep u in the loop on all NE events!
Post a Comment