Been talking to my Daddy & a coupla friends (including bloggers) on the topic of FEAR. I've recently learned two new ways to look at FEAR:
F &%k
E verything
A nd
R un
-or-
F ace
E verything
A nd
R ejoice
I realize that both are valid depending on the circumstances. Below (and each Monday until I exhaust this topic;-) - I'll list some examples of each in my experience;-). I will try to balance them out -- it is my life goal to overcome most of my fears & the things that make me hesitate in life. I want to live a courageous life because too often fears are crippling and limiting. I know a man who has such a fear of going above the first floor of a building. Do you know how many opportunities and life experiences I would miss if I stayed on the ground level of buildings in NEW YORK CITY? I wish him well, but I am driven to overcome fears that have the potential to keep me from enjoying a full life.
I know that some fears are instincts that help keep us safe - like fear of falling or the fear of a gun pointing in your direction. And I know most other fears are reactions to tragic experiences. However, I want to train myself to believe there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to fear! Even God is not be feared, but should be revered! An example of overcoming a serious "logical" fear: If a gun is pointed in my direction I want my instincts to kick in and an alternative to be realized - either I'll talk the gun pointer into turning the gun elsewhere, I'll run in a zig-zagged pattern, or something. But, I NEVAH evah want to be paralyzed by fear. I feel strongly about this - especially now that we, U.S. residents live under a fear-mongering presidential regime who gets its rox off by promoting fear.
Sometimes I have felt the need to: F.%&k E.verything A.nd R.un:
1. When I encounter barking dogs - especially big dogs.
2. When I encountered snakes - especially in college - needed to walk a wooded path.
3. Flying on airplanes makes my heart race.
I'm Proud when I have: F.aced E.verything A.nd R.ejoiced:
1. Encounter the dog owners & learn the dogs weren't as bad as I had initially thought. Now, it's the owners I watch.
2. Volunteered at the Nat'l Zoo in DC & learned about snakes - even handled a few.
3. When I fly I pull out my journal and write exactly what I'm feeling and EVERY time it's helped to calm my nerves - even through turbulence (besides, where am I going to run TO once I'm on the plane?;-).
What fears are U working to overcome?
*click image for source & info. on Edvard Munch.
Monday, May 5, 2008
BlueBe Not Afraid Mondays
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 5/05/2008
Labels: blessings in disguise, get it write, self awareness, self discovery, self preservation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 Comments:
Sister,
You know all I do is blog about the opposite of FEAR which is LOVE. I am fearless these days. I choose to walk in love and that makes me fearless. That's it. Choose LOVE in all things.
very well said, we had a saying in memphis "f***, fight or walk
Great post. I've had debilitating fears of dogs, spiders, and open heights. The dogs and spiders I've overcome completely. Heights? Not so much. I still freak on a fire escape or going up in an elevator. However, I can usually steel myself to take it for long enough to get me through.
Sistah Love - In addition to Love I have to take action ...but then i guess love is action;-).
T-Dawg - THANX! LOL@ the memphis saying!
SulDog - Glad u like it. How did u overcome those fears? I'll keep ya in prayer with that heights thang - tha's tricky here in nyc, as u know;-).
I like that painting "The Scream".
As much as i want it...i think i'm in fear of a relationship, or giving myself to one...i'm continually praying on this though, but it is what it is...been treated not quite how i would like, and now i'm just so disengaged.
Right now, my greatest fear is relocating. I don't want to do it, but just might have to.
BossMack - glad u like my choice of image:-)
Miz - keeping praying & breathing...i hear it gets u thru childbirth, so maybe it'll work for life-labor, too;-)
O.N. - I hope u don't have to go...who'll give such great nyc tours? But if u gotta go to make that paypah - know that nyc will always be here for ya!
I've stared down too many gun barrels, walked through to many "shadows of death," to fear bodily harm easily. I'm the guy who has talked would-be killers out of taking me out-- thank God! My greatest fear-- you're making me face myself, sis-- is failure. I fear letting down the people who support me most as I chase my dreams. My wife is incredibly supportive, but I question my every move in the worst of times because I have to shake that fear of not living up to my hopes and falling below her encouragement. WHEW! MAN, it felt good just to WRITE THAT!
Post a Comment