Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Movies Revisted & Better choices;-)

So, I returned those sorry azz movies to the library today (that I posted about yesterday). Needing to get that "sour" taste outta my mouth - I perused the library's movie collection and found a coupla GEMS!!
1) Jazz Casuals' John Coltrane.
2) Buena Vista Social Club.

1) Let me tell ya, I love jazz - I'm no jazz know-it-all. I can't "name that tune" or artist just by hearing it (had an 'ex' quiz me when he learned that I enjoyed jazz ... *rolling eyes*). I just enjoy jazz. I like what I like! One of my favorite jazz artists is John Coltrane. 1) I think the man was fine as could be! ;-) 2) I enjoy hearing his music. So, when I saw this movie on the rack I POUNCED! It did NOT fail me! The opening piece shows my boo playing with smoke rolling upwards and I wondered, "Is he smoking a cigarette while playing?" Sure enough, when he took a break, he took a puff then put his cigarette out. Now, I'm not promoting smoking - but, I did think, "DAYUMMM, u know u good when u can play as well as he does AND smoke a cigarette!" I mean the brother's got to have some lungs to play as he does WHILE smoking! LOL!

If u are a jazz fan - u've got to check this collection out!

2) I'm trying to immerse myself a bit more into Spanish cuz I need to & want to become fluent. Plus, I LOVE what I've experienced of the Hispanic culture. I love seeing scenes of Cuba - which I hope to visit someday. This movie fed all those "needs". The old dudes looked like they were having such fun! I think I need a young Hispanic man with an old soul;-). LOL! I dated one - but he had too many women & not enough, uh other tools that I need in my life. But, he was a true sweetheart & that Brother knew how to romance a sistah - so, I totally understood why so many women loved him;-)!

If Hispanic culture and music interest u - this is definitely a must see!

*click on images for source.

11 Comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

I know this movie! I am a HUGE Jazz Fan! And I know my music and artists! Hey it's Jazz all day on Sunday at my house!

Check 'Round Midnight...very moody and the music is fab! Dexter Gordon amazing!

"Straight No Chaser" featuring Monk

"Triumph of the underdog" featuring Charles Mingus

"Anantomy of A Murder" Duke Ellington---superb music!

"Lush Life" with Forrest Whitaker. This is actually a film about jazz musicians. It is really really good.

Go get these and let me know how you liked them!

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Sister,
How could I have forgotten this GEM! These old Cats have Swagger...hell they invented swagger! No stay away from the young ones, you need and want a seasoned Man with ties to the old ways. I know what I am talking about...trust me! LOL!

Anonymous said...

That Coltrane flick sounds interesting. I love watching movies, especially independent flicks.

I may need to go to the library, like you, instead of spending money at Blockbuster. Who goes there anymore anyway???

CapCity said...

LoveBabz - thanx for those suggestions, Sis. As much as I enjoy the conversation & company of elders ... I have certain needs that only a youngstah can fulfill;-)! LOL!

Jewells - Yea, Gurl - I am the public library QUEEN! LOL! And now thanx to the internet I've got it down to a SCIENCE;-).

Mizrepresent said...

@Cap, lol at the young hispanic with the old soul.
ps. thanks for the encouragement on my page sis!

12kyle said...

"I think I need a young Hispanic man with an old soul;-)" LOL!!!

How young is young?

Anonymous said...

Ricko Suave' with the Dexter St. Jacque package,check

Shai said...

I have loved Jazz since I was about 15 or 16. I love so many of the old jazz entertainers like Miles and Billie. I have not gotten into Coltrane. I have heard some of his work. I did not know he had a movie. I have to check it out.

I do have to admit the older I get the more I drift to jazz and old skool r & B(before 1990).

I love some latin sound, I have to check out the CD.

CapCity said...

Miz - u know how i roll! lol! & GURL, u know I got MAD-luv for ya!

12Kyle - ummm, late 20's-mid-30's ... u got some friends u brangin' to the ATL booksigning? LOL;-)

Anon - ummm, lance? that u? LOL!

Shai - yea, my dad's a jazz fan so i've been raised on jazz. I didn't know Coltrane had been filmed either - it's a rare treat! Dayum, that man was fine!

Unknown said...

Cap, you KNOW you placed a smile 'pon mi face! There's a movie version of the "Love Supreme" suite, my favorite Coltrane work, that will blow your mind! I agree with you that too many people equate knowing the full history of music and musicians with loving the music. I once had a SHIPMATE attempt to give me a music quiz because I told her that I love soul music-- but I didn't like HER favorite artist. I love to learn about artists who bring me aural joy, but PLEASE tell the planet to keep the quizzes in the classroom!

OH YEAH-- the library is my source for good FREE music and film! You are not alone, sista!

Lovebabz, we're kindred hearts. You just strolled down a list of my favorites! "Round Midnight" is my favorite song of all time!

CapCity said...

Glad I could bring a smile 'pon u bwah! :-) ... i knew we were kindred spirits! The public library is the GREATEST investment of my TAX dollars!!

blogger templates | Make Money Online