I didn't really want to blog about this, but after "pestering" several friends via email they suggested I blog to open up the dialogue. I just want to know your thoughts on Soul Mates (I already know some of you don't believe in the concept). One friend likened them to Kindred Spirits, which can come and go through out your life. Personally, I think the term Mate means connected and attached for the remainder of one's life from the time you meet and "click". I also believe that Soul Mates are connected by God as "assigned" help-mates.
There is a film entitled Soul Mate that focuses on the Single, Black Christian Woman and how the male to female ratio dilemma affects us and our ability to be Soul Mated.
Please watch the trailer before you comment. I tried unsuccessfully to embed the trailer, which means unfortunately, you have to take an extra step.
The Soul Mate Trailer
For anyone in the NYC area - spread the word:
The Singles' Ministry at Abyssinian Baptist Church will be screening the film Soul Mate on this coming Weds., March 14th at 7pm. There will be 2 follow-up discussion sessions on Wed., March 21st & 28th.
Back2TopOfIntimateSide
Monday, March 12, 2007
Soul Mates
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 3/12/2007
Labels: art by cap, relationships, single christians, Soul Mates
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 Comments:
I have watched the video and it was so depressing. I am like we have way too many women crying the blues about men. Are any men feeling like these women?
I think it's going to be depressing too, Shai, which is why I refuse to watch it alone. Going to be up in church when I watch it & hear the thoughts of others. But, a friend who's seen it says it's enlightening & even uplifting...we'll see.
I don't think men are crying the blues over women ... the numbers are in their favor;-)
Your email earlier was so timely because I spent some of the morning talking to a friend of min who was basically saying some of what was on the video.
Her biggest issue was that she didn't want to abstain from having sex, because it seemed to impossible of a feat. She further expounded about how we are sent mixed messages.
As kids, depending on the family, we are hugged and nurtured so we become accustomed to human contact.
As we get older we are then taught to neglect that contact, especially with the opposite sex.
Then you have hormones that tell you the natural response is to unite with someone. Once you are an adult and can navigate these feelings, you feel guilty because the church constantly says it's wrong.
She argued, why should she serve in the church and the community all in the name of the Lord and then can't have the one thing she wants from the Lord; a mate.
She said, she hopes this isn't some big test of, if you can abstain you go to heaven, if you can't, well welcome to hell.
We talked about a lot. Like Biblical culure how David had many wives, but God never dealt with him on the issue of having multiple wives. He only dealt with him on Bathsheba, because she belonged to another. He also didn't want him to go after the other God's of his many wives, but he never told him he couldn't have them. During Davids time, it wasn't necessary to have wives to populate the earth, so what's the deal on that.
Overall, she just expressed her constant desire for companionship, and how she just didn't know how to be single and maintain this Godly lifestyle. Everyone can tell you to stop, but know one can tell her how to make it through. She also said if one more person tells her to pray, she is going to SCREAM!!!!!
I am SO with your friend, Rich!
We had an earlier discussion at church about being Single Christian Adults and handling abstenance. It was funny (but frustrating) because the discussion was led by a FOINE, single minister who had NO CLUE how to handle the direction that the dialogue went. I don't know if he thought we'd be satisfied to sit and listen to his FOINE-self preach direct quotes from the Bible, but we had questions. It was too funny, when he asked, "Have u all brought this up w/ Pastor Butts (our head pastor)? I think we need to have another session on this." LOL!
And here, I thought this topic had been exhausted...
You know this is just how the white man wanted it. He's waiting on you sista's to come back to The Big House, to have your passions filled.
And some of you are running back to him thinking you are experiencing "Something New"
History is repeating itself, this time instead of taking it, he's getting it served up on a platter.
That may be true for some, MwB. There are some of us holding on for their Black SoulMate, or getting used to being single - as u stated in a comment elsewhere.
Wow! Cap! See, this is a different take on the subject matter. I believe in soulmates. I watched the video...i am being abstinate, but not for the...i'm waiting on the soulmate tip..just bc, it's dangerous out there. Protection is cool, but what condom fits around the heart. I have decided to focus my energies elsewhere, and pray, and know that when the time is right for me, he will arrive.
Amen Mzrepresent. I am there with ya.
Protection is cool, but what condom fits around the heart.
All I can say is, I'm glad I'm married.
i do love that statement about the condom for the heart, Miz!
And Rich - shut up! We don't need to hear that from men, too! LOL!
lol@"pestering"...u didn't pester me, man!!!
It was a great way to provide a different perspective and I really enjoyed the blog. Though watching the video was somewhat enlightening..I could have commented before watching it and remained firm in my resolve...as previously stated!
thanks for sharing your thoughts!!
Cap, I have to say that the church is really lacking on the sex education part of the Bible. With AIDS, infidelity, the DL folks, teen pregnancy, and so on, they need to get their heads out the sand and humble themselves. That old school crap of women keeping their legs closed with no explanation how and not teaching men self-control has not helped us.
I could really go on about this. I will get off my soapbox.
well said Shai and Rich ...one of the reasons that I had my predatory way with women as a brand new babe int eh church is because they were competing with each other about who would get me first.
There is no arrogance in that statement only that I was a new brotha in a church full of women with a ratio of like 10:1.
I didnt have the knowledge or the support in place at the time to prevent me from going on a sexual rampage starting with the choir.
excellent cross blogging family!
@MWB I liked that thought process though..it was totally thinking outside the box..WTG, brah!
Post a Comment