It's no secret that I love to talk. I'm proud that I've also become a better listener & observer of cues.
According to FreeDictionary.com:
The spoken exchange of thoughts, opinions, and feelings; talk.
According to Wikipedia:
Conversations are the ideal form of communication in some respects, since they allow people with different views of a topic to learn from each other. A speech, on the other hand, is an oral presentation by one person directed at a group.
Those engaging in conversation naturally relate the other speaker's statements to themselves, and insert themselves (or some degree of relation to themselves, ranging from the replier's opinions or points to actual stories about themselves) into their replies. For a successful conversation, the partners must achieve a workable balance of contributions. A successful conversation includes mutually interesting connections between the speakers or things that the speakers know. For this to happen, those engaging in conversation must find a topic on which they both can relate to in some sense.
As I think back on some of my most exciting conversations I've observed the following have kept me engaged & wanting to talk forEVER to the individuals:We connected in unspoken ways. They read my signals - often better than I could have ever "read" myself. The conversation made me think & ponder on what I am doing with my own life/self. I laughed! I may have even cried. I reminisced and kept thinking forward toward a hopeful future. The individuals were passionate about life! We spoke with respect to each other, not speaking down to the other. We enjoyed the company and the meeting of the minds. We could disagree and keep the flow moving.
Great conversations are like dancing: you move joyfully together. Even if you accidentally step on each others' toes, you apologize and keep it moving!
I have a question to you who are reading this:
How do you keep your conversation engaging? Do you enjoy conversations (I must remember that there are those who prefer not to dance;-)?
As Stephanie says: Don't Be Afraid! Keep on Dancin'! Nonstop, now!
Click on image for source.

16 Comments:
Im not big on dragging out conversation, once everything has been said thats it you should be able to enjoy the silence together after that.
Clnmike - How can EVERYthing ever be said? There are new developments in life/the world which evoke new thoughts...
I DO agree that silence together can be wonderful, too!
Are u the quiet type who only talks when ABSOLUTELY necessary? I dated a silent brother once - it drove me NUTZ! I look back & think maybe I wasn't mature enough to appreciate him... but I know it would STILL drive me NUTZ today! LOL!
Much like you...I love to talk. Lol
yes, silence can be golden, but god to i LOVE a good conversation. it's like verbal sex to me, and oooh i LOVE sex, lol!!
also, i come from a family of talkers. i can't help it, it's in my genes!
I enjoy good conversations, especially those in which I lose track of time and don't care if I only get 1 hour of sleep.
I don't like to prolong convos that aren't going anywhere just for the sake of talking. It has to have a flow.
i like to listen - i think i get tired of lecturing in class and at meetings
Sure, I love a good conversation. The true test of a good friendship, though, is being able to just sit back and not say a word WITHOUT feeling uncomfortable about the silence. That's when I knew MY WIFE was the one I should marry; when I found myself feeling really good during our silences together.
Conversation? Hmmmm.... Love it when I want it - hate it when I don't. Love it when people can discern between the two.
Hey lady...How are things over here with you? They say a pictures worth a thousands words; never more true for that photo; it spoke in volumes to my spirit.
I enjoy good conversations as well. When I think about my longest and one of my most enjoyable conversations, it was on the phone with an ex-boyfriend. We spoke for somewhere around 8 hours. We had to keep taking bathroom breaks and call each other back a few times, because we didn't want the conversation to end.
And this wasn't phone sex, just talking about issues of the day, our lives, silliness, food, art, music, everything. Even some moments of silence where we were pondering something. That's a good conversation.
I love a great conversation, in fact that is pertinent in any relationship i'm in.
I like conversation when I can learn from it. Once most people get past the greetings and niceties, they have nothing much left to say. Keep me interested by speaking your mind respectfully and directly. Liars and brag artists bore me quickly.
My co-worker Shannon and I go on so long we end up rescheduling time to actually work. He is a ex-soho living, hippie type and I am a freethinking, jockish type, but we are cut from the same cloth in the end.
12k - i KNOW tha's right;-)
princess - "it's like verbal sex to me"... yes, yes, YESSS! lol
jewells - "It has to have a flow." EXACTLY!!
T-Dawg - u seem to enjoy pontificating over a glass of South African grape, as well;-)
Suldog - "...when I found myself feeling really good during our silences together." *SIGH* yea...
k.o. - u GOTTA luv discerning folk;-)
jmw - hey, sis! yea - when i googled conversation - that image JUMPED out at me!
anali - actually, my BEST phone sex - never includes sexual content;-)
miz - u KNOOOWWWW!?
new/ced - all i can do is SMILE @ your comment;-)
david - all respectful, free thinkers are cut from the same cloth... i think;-)
Lawd KNOWS I love to talk, but not just a unch of garble...hastp be intellegent conversation. Te Bs'n and shyt talkin is cool, but I need to be able to switch to something of substance and a mo'foe be able to keep up.
I've found the best way to keep conversation engaging is to make sure not to focus the talk around you, but rather get the other person talking about themselves...and vise versa. And it's an absolute necessity when it comes to a man. I'm with Princess...it's like verbal sex to me, and without it, yo udont get the real thing!LOL
Hey Sis...missed you
"Are u the quiet type who only talks when ABSOLUTELY necessary?"
Yup.
Post a Comment