Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Let de Ridm Guide U - CAP's PlayList

My newest interest is a NY born Trinidadian drummer/conga player/percussionist. AND I hail proudly from the Nation's Capital = home of dat Go Go Beat! Here in this modern day Babel, known as NYC, I find meself amongst dese Islanders (PuertoRiCAN, DominiCAN, JamaiCAN, TriniDADDY-an, etc. ;-)...

What de Lawd tryin' ta beat intuh a Gurl lak me? Hmmmm... well, unteeel ah figure it out ... let de rhydim sway...

Enjoy the new songlist I compiled (it's in progress & being built up slowly:-).
FYI about the list/artists:
Do I really need to explain Chuck Brown - GodFather of Funk and Rare Essence? ;-)
Frankie Beverly is an honorary Washingtonian:-).
Meshell Ndegeocello was raised in DC & used to play in the Go-Go Band Rare Essence;-).
TimbaLand & Cee-Lo have southern roots and I'll Be Around clearly has that Go-Go groove.
In case you're wondering how Chris Brown made the list - he's from the county next to my grandmother's home county - so, Chris, "Boo" - - u have a fan fo' lyf since u rep proudly from Tappahannock, VA. Gots to love my Virginia Southern survivors' Roots;-).
Anthony Hamilton - How can I not love a Southern Gentleman & fellow Aquarian who sings about cornbread, fish AND collard greens;-)?
Stephanie Mills - If you're old enough to remember her on Broadway in The Wiz (even if u didn't witness her live...I was too young to travel like that - but I was there in spirit;-), you KNOW why she's on this & should be on EVERY playlist;-).
Johnny Mathis - The relative after whom I was named had so many of his albums & played them so frequently when we visited -- my sisters & I literally believed that she was married to him. We laughed about that recently, and we all continue to love his voice.
Jill Scott's a Philly girl - lots of DC connections there (at least in my family:-) ... and the funny thing - Philly & DC Black Folk are more similar than B'more & DC folk and they're only 30 minutes apart -- what's up with that?

I don't have any answers either...so, let's just groove;-)

7 Comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see that you aren't doing anything that fits in the bad section of Rich's list (that post spoke the truth!)! I hope that good things continue to come from this new thing, lady.

CapCity said...

Ced - u know I've made plenty of errors in my past - so, I'm taking it REAL easy-like;-)...and regardless of where it goes - it's going to be ALL GOOD;-)

Unknown said...

Good... handle it "easy" like an old Commodores' song...

Shai said...

Meshell, I love her music. Dang! I want a CPU for Christmas so I can download all my CDs. I got a couple of Meshell's joints.

CapCity said...

Yea, Shai - Meshell is SERIOUS! Hoping u get all u want this holiday:-).

Unknown said...

Meshell and Marcus Miller make me want to play bass. What would the world be without great music?

Lola Gets said...

No, I havent done my go-go post yet, cause Id hate to do multiple-video-posts in one week...but maybe Ill get over that one soon!

Happy Holidays to you!
L

blogger templates | Make Money Online