I've GOT to see: The Great Debaters. And I think everyone else should, too.
And I'm glad to learn that this is one HBCU that has not closed its doors - even though I'd never heard of the school until I heard about the movie. Wiley College: maybe the movie will garner more support for them.
Friday, December 14, 2007
I MUST See This Movie
Moved by The Creator, Merely posted by CapCity at 12/14/2007
Labels: advice, education, promoting another artist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 Comments:
AAAAHHH, now I remember the title! My wife and I planned to see this movie ASAP when we watched the trailer before AMERICAN GANGSTER started. Think Denzel might see another Oscar nod for THE GREAT DEBATERS? LOL... neither do I! Hollyweird wants to see him degraded and degrading...
U know I love your twisted, sarcastic Humor/Truth telling, Ced! We know he'll get his next award for his ruthlessness in A.G. Regardless of what awards he gets - I'm glad to see he's using his celebrity to spread some GOOD in this world - how many of us have ever HEARD about the Black Debate team? And does that college even exist anymore?
They still exist. There are a few HBCU's that understand the need to arm youngsters with strong critical thinking and wisdom tools for speaking. I wish the programs at middle schools and high schools were stronger.
I'll see it.
For sure.
I attended VUU (yay)
What i did hear that they (Wiley) was suffering financially big time...and just the other day, Denzel made a big donation to the school...gotta love this man...really!
I am definitely going to go check this movie out... and I love the anthony hamilton song in your player... one of my favs
yeah this should be a really good movie
I will be in the seats on opening day to see this one!
I'm looking forward to it ESPECIALLY after seeing American Gangster. Good movie, good acting, horrible portrayal. For my money, New Jack City told the same story in a way the prompted much less glorification of evil and a much better job of showing the horrific impact. I felt like AG was designed to make me feel pride that a black man could beat white criminals at their own game. Hmmm...criminals are criminals, and in this case, its worse because Frank was killing his own people (but the movie makers "white washed" that).
I'm looking forward to a true and positive portrayal of blackness that I can be proud of.
Ummm...sorry I just went on a rant on your spot. LOL
Jali - go head Ms. VUU! I attended HBCU parties (well, i did take a few grad classes at Howard;-)! LOL!
Miz - I figured Denzel would donate since "his" movie is featuring them - i still luv him & think he's getting better, too;-).
Ebonne - Welcome, Sis! Glad u like some of my music selection;-).
Andrew - I hope the movie draws attention to something POSITIVE & maybe will trigger MORE;-).
Femi - don't know if I'll be there ON xmas day - but it'll be soon thereafter;-).
Bro G - Rant ON! ;-) I agree that Frank Lucas & his type had/have a DEVASTATING effect on our people - as I stated over at AAO (maybe I'm naive - but this is how I see it;-):
I think EVERYone should go see this movie!
Regarding Denzel's roles - I think he's REAL clear on Hollyweird & Black Folx. He knows that he's gotta play some BS in order to get to play some GREAT roles. Regardless of what he gets awards for - he uses his celebrity to parlay some enlightenment, too! I applaud him for being savvy as he is!
Regarding Bad guys vs. Good guys: The world is made up of good & evil. Both exist in EACH of us. I also like the fact that Denzel chooses strong Bad guys & shows that there are many sides to them, too.
Tha's my two cent;-)
December 15, 2007 11:44 AM
Post a Comment