Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pretty Real

C'mere!
Don't be skurred.
Don't make excuses.
Forget what you were taught about pretty women.
We. Are. Human.
Gigolos ain't the only ones who "get lonely too".
What? You say Pretty Women have it too easy?
Have you asked one how her day was and then really waited for the answer?
Did she snap at you? Are you sure?
Did she hear you correctly? Did you hear her correctly?
Did you approach her with animosity? Curiousity?
Did you drop the "lines" and simply ask her - "Hey Sis, How you doin' today?"
Hmm, she still snapped? Well, then maybe she had a bad day.
Maybe she's just tired of being held to standards that are unreasonable.
Maybe she just wants to be a sistah who is:
Admired for who She Is
Without being touched without her permission or judged.
Or told that "She thinks she's cute." or "She ain't all that anyway."
She just wants to be loved by her man, a Strong Black man who accepts her as she is.
She just wants a Strong Black man who accepts her and won't toss her aside if she dares reveal less than perfect attributes.

Or...maybe that's just me.

C.A. Paige©April 2007

20 Comments:

dc_speaks said...

well..wellllllll! Say it girl---with the confidence of a hundred strong women.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I like this one. Like the pic too.

Shai said...

Excellent piece.

JustMeWriting said...

lol....Ok Cap, I'm feeling that and as a fellow pretty woman (lol...just kidding) but I know what you mean. Those who've considered me kinda cute said I was somewhat unapproachable because of some attitude they THOUGHT I had. great piece..

CapCity said...

Thanks for the positive feedback that u are all so great about giving. I was talking to a friend about this issue yesterday, and he was really surprised to hear that I am FINALLY coming to terms with & getting comfortable with the fact that I am considered a pretty woman:-).

plez... said...

that poem was simply gorgeous... as well as your picture!

my wife and i had a similar conversation just yesterday about how "pretty" people (women in particular) are treated and the burden that is placed on them because of their good looks. just because someone looks good on the outside, it doesn't mean that life is treating them well; as a matter of fact, the "pretty ones" generally have it pretty rough because they spend so much time being "misunderstood" for what they look like rather than respected for what they truly think or feel.

CAP, you nailed it! and i no longer think that you're a "bad bad girl"! *smile*

KIKI said...

Well said Sis Cap...well said!

Anonymous said...

U know I feel ya! u KNOW i feel ya.

Anonymous said...

Cap:
Nice piece and very informative.

Book Maniac said...

Cap....
U are the "B all of written word" I'mmmmm LOvin It!!

CapCity said...

Thanx again to each of you for taking the time to leave comments of encouragement.
It's nice to see some of the Sistahs of BevLand came through, too:-)

Unknown said...

Well, it's about time! Great piece, lady...and I hope you're using that in your future book!

Man With Balls said...

I ain't skurred to say, you are beautiful, bad day or not.

Dangerfield said...

Capcity this is my first time comming to your and I can feel that you are a warm, loving and compasionate person.

Also I loved the poem, I didnt realize pretty woman had it so bad as it is I will never ever treat pretty women as object to be put above anyone else. Also I will never ever harass a pretty women again ( and no I dont have my fingers crossed).

Lastly as a poet I am feeling the poetry element and especially your emphasis on education as I believe that all black people need to delve very deep into learning, thought and progressive thinking.

Good Post capcity thank you for visisting my blog.

CapCity said...

Big Ol' country group hug to all the 'regulars':DC, Rich, Shai, JMW, Plez, Kiki, Ced & Mw/B;-); the sistahs of BevLand: Helesi, Keren, BkManiac & welcome to the fold/hug Mark!

Thanks to you all a sistah like me feels ALRIGHT with being Pretty!

Thanx also to those readers who do not leave comments, but call or email me their love & encouragement;-).

Anonymous said...

Very nice! A good one for all of us Pretty Girls!!! :)

CapCity said...

Thanx for coming through, Sugar! Glad u liked it:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes! You were definitely speaking my language on this one :-)

CapCity said...

Sistah Bmo' - I knew from your blog tone that u'd appreciate;-). thanx for coming thru!

terri said...

That's aight! You are filled with Mercurial Power!

blogger templates | Make Money Online