Sunday, July 27, 2008

CAP's Car Talk

My blog-fam knows I LOVE TO DRIVE! Now, that I've left the BMW fleet & no longer motor a MINI I'll need to provide my own oil changes while I'm CoROLLin'. Living in NYC's chop-shop capital I am a bit concerned about how to find a reputable service station that won't charge me an arm, leg & my first born!

I heard about this online service: RepairPal. This website seems to help demystify the repair prices for cars. It's in beta (test) mode, so I wasn't surprised that 2008 wasn't included in the car model years. It seems to be a pretty cool site, though. In addition to locating car repair shops, there is advice about cars (if u wanna know problems that are specific to certain models) and a place for users to track & store their own car maintenance.

When I requested information about oil change prices it gave me a large range of $22-$40. I guess that's honest, but U know I'll be seeking the less expensive shops;-).

If u have another way to determine a good shop, please share!! Thanx!

7 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm--this is the second time that I've read about the RepairPal site in as many weeks. I need to give it a look. Have one of the good men around you call a few shops for you just to see how they set pricing, and then call the same shops with your car info later in the day. I'm still surprised at the number of shops that try to take advantage of women by juking prices and giving shady auto service.

12kyle said...

Be careful Cap. You can go for an oil change and they'll find 20 things wrong with your whip. lol

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i suggest to to folk u are around and work with

Rich Fitzgerald said...

considering u got the new whip, you should see if the dealer can get you in and out. that might be too much like right, but it's worth a try. Otherwise go to Jiffy Lube and tell them NO when they offer any suggestions outside the normal oil change.

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Yeah. What they said. It is a habit for me to roll up into a oil change place and say "just the oil please".

Still Patrice said...

we(ok the hubby) goes to Jiffy Lube or Speedy for the basic oil changes. Say NO to everything else.

Anything outside of oil changes, tires, brakes we go to the dealership.

Sheletha said...

I want the MINI back...

blogger templates | Make Money Online