This was originally posted on 3/31/07, but I felt the need to Resurrect & RePost it (in case U missed it THREE years ago:-)
I. love. to. DRIVE! I feel more alive when I drive. I watch other drivers as I drive and wonder why they don't seem to share my joy! I prefer driving manual shift, because it's so much fun and sporty! I prefer driving in cities proper or along country roads, preferably with curves and wonderful scenery of rolling hills, barnyard animals and such.
My daddy was a taxi driver who continues to do so at his leisure these days. Sounds like a fun way for him to keep a li'l income coming in without the urgency that dominated when we, his children, were young "birds with our mouths open" for whatever he brought back to the "nest". I always marveled at the fact that he drove all day; then would come home and take us all for a drive to our utter delight! One of my fondest childhood "road" memories:
A family cook out draws to an end, the fire in the grill is dying down, the music has been turned down to a soft background tune and many of us children who were running around had settled on someones lap or flopped in a nearby chair listening to the adults lowered voices. A topic such as, "What is ol' so & so doing down in Charlottesville?" came up and someone suggested, "Let's go down there and see." Mind you, it was wayyyyy after midnight. But it's the weekend, I guess, so the adults agree to it. I just recall being carried into the house and had my clothes changed as I dozed on and off. I was bundled snugly into the car with everyone else and dozed to the lulling sound of my father whistling softly as he drove us toward Charlottesville, VA. I awoke to the beautiful sunrise over the rolling hills of the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge Mountains. I stood up behind my father and watched the road through the windshield for awhile as we rode. We arrived at the home of aunts and uncles who came out in their robes with disheveled hair and sleepy eyes exclaiming, "Lawd, look who's heah! What 'chall chir'en doing down heah so early?" Cousins were roused, breakfast was made and the party was on ... again!
Yeah, you could say the love for long drives was instilled into me at birth. Our time on most of these drives were filled with discussions, sometimes heated, sometimes philosophical, sometimes moral lessons taught ... no topic seemed off limits. If we weren't talking the car was filled with singing, laughing, and munching on a variety of snacks and even meals that were combinations of store bought and homemade for a mobile picnic.
After my parents divorced, my dad would pick my sisters and me up and our time spent together would entail him driving fairly non-stop; sometimes into the night. That was for weeknight visitation. Then there were weekend visits where we would drive for hours into country sides, most of the time into Virginia, sometimes through Maryland, north to Baltimore. If we were going to stay for an overnight, we might venture as far as New York City.
Cars are wonderful places of respite for me, an oasis of sorts. I go for drives in cities to keep my alertness sharp. I feel the thrill that I imagine others feel when they play video games or some competitive sport that causes their hearts to race and spirits soar.
I have contemplated the various careers of drivers, but none of them appeal to me. I don't want to race endlessly around a track, no matter how many curves are set up. I don't want to be at the beck and call of passengers. I just want to get out there in the streets and maneuver, get around drivers engrossed in their own little worlds: "digging for gold", day dreaming, arguing, putting on makeup, shaving, and of course, on cell phones. I watch with amazement, the preoccupations behind the wheels of the cars around me. I am ever amazed at the miracle that we all actually get safely to our destinations as more and more gadgetry fills the car.
I go for drives in the country when I want my mind to meander and absorb the images of the day. I like sunny drives in the country and even drizzly drives where I'm "snug as a bug" in my ride and watching the scenery around me unfold as I pass through it. My "dream" drive is the legendary beautiful California Highway Rte. 1. I am determined to take a trip to the West coast to take that "mecca" of drives along the Pacific Ocean. But until that day, I will relish in the beauty along the East coast that I love!

17 Comments:
i love to drive too Cap...it is so freeing and sometimes, i cut off the radio and just listen to the wind...the silence...and enjoy the peace. Wonderful post.
Me too...loves to get behind the wheel of a car and just go...with no specific destination...just me and Mary J in the cd player. Got hooked as a child when me & my fam would take 16 - 18 hr road trips to Alabama to see my Grandma and rest of my father's peeps. Wow...memories (smile)...
Very nice, indeed, Sis Cap!
Freeing is the perfect description Miz! Glad u enjoyed it.
thanx, Ki! hope u all are passing that love onto your children & remember to teach them to DRIVE stick! U know that real chix drive stix;-). LOL!
I hear ya Cap. The car I had before the one I have now was a 5-speed Camry...I LOVED THAT CAR! HALE YEAH REAL CHIX DRIVE STIX! hehehe
And started to mention the kids in the first comment (didn't wanna drag on..) but yes, 'specially in the summer...I fry some chicken, make some samiches, get some fruit, cheese, pop for the kids (coolers for me lol)...pack up the car and roll. The kids love it..especially when we go into the country...seeing real cows, horses, and such...I just drive til I find a spot that we can have all to ourselves and enjoy each other.
I honestly think I have my 6 year old hooked already. He actually gets MAD @ me if we dont get in the car on saturday afternoons and go somewhere. Wish we could just take a road trip every weekend, but with the way gas prices are now...a sistah had to slow her roll lol.
I have to say I don't love driving. Especially in my area, the folks drive CRAZY. No offense. I live near a bunch of Middle Eastern folks who should not have gotten their licenses. LOL.
Aren't you glad I coaxed you into posting more often.
This was a lovely post. I too like to drive. I remember when I first got married I told my wife I was "goin' riding" and I was so used to doing it alone because I liked not having to talk to anyone that I didn't invite her. She thought that ridin' meant gooin to check out other women. Now she knows different. We are always all over the place. I can easily lose half a day going nowhere in particular.
Shai, I wish I could help u relish in the thrill of a challenge that crazy drivers offer me! I know many who think I'm nuts b'cuz I LOVE driving in this crazy NYC/Modern day Babel. I have a sister who no longer likes to drive (or be in cars very much) - b'cuz it rattles her nerves. I will admit when I'm really tired or my cup-runneth ovah I have to bow out of the driving "game", too.
Rich, u just don't know how thankful I am that 1)Shai introduced me to this group of Blog-maniacs;-) & 2) that u encouraged me to "up my game".
I only hope your wife/family enjoy riding with u as much as we enjoyed riding with my dad as kids! I still enjoy riding with my dad.
"Quick" funny story: Just before I moved to NYC my dad & I drove up from DC (4 hours one way) one wkend to look for a place for me to live. My dad was "hyped" when we got into Manhattan - dipping & dodging with the rest of these "fools". My dad looked like a happy kid:-). He even said, "Watch out now, this DC cab-driver's here to show y'all how it's done (or something to that effect:-)". On the way back to DC I asked if he needed a break from driving and he looked at me like I had insulted him! LOL!! I LOVE it & know that streak runs through me STRONG!!
You mentioned Hwy 1 aka PCH (the Pacific Coast Highway). Lady, it's one of the greatest drives I've ever raced. Get this: my first drive on that route included a race with an old-school Ferrari and Porsche 911 Turbo! Didn't know a Ford Explorer could keep up with the big dogs, eh?
That drive is hypnotic. The smooth, sharp curves require ALL your attention for most of the central coast part of the trip up the PCH North. I can tell you now that it will be the toughest attention focus exercise you'll ever achieve! The view from the mountainside over the ocean is EPIC! I wish I had a camera hooked up to my truck as I swooped around the curves and drank in the sights.
If you ever come this way again soon, we should take that drive from San Diego to San Francisco. Next time around, I'll hold the camera while you enjoy the wheel!
I love to drive, too, but my husband hates it. Whenever I get a chance to take a road trip--I make sure he doesn't come with me. He takes the joy out of the open road!
Sheletha, sorry to hear that drive cooled your enthusiasm.
GG, I'm hoping that my SoulMate will share my passion for the road - but I guess you've taught me that I can still love a man if he doesn't:-). LOL!
yeah c.i./m.i., been to cali many times but never tackled the PCH length from LA to SF, but i did travel to monterey from the bay area one sunday afternoon and the view was breathtaking.
i want to do the "ultimate road trip", coast.to.coast in a RV, starting from NY to LA. take some sand from long beach, here on long island, ny and pour it on venice beach, in cali.
i'on kno' about that one, with the chemicalS in the dirt/sand nowadays, i might be creating a new organic monster!!! ARRRRGGGGH!!!!!
oooh Lance, that sounds like the making of a travel-logue: Coast to Coast - up one-side and down the other! I think an RV would be cool until I get to the PCH - then I'll have to take my MINI off the trailer and RIP it UP!!!
speakin' of cars, speed and driving...have you evah attended a NASCAR race before or an auto race period?
i have attended an auto race once, not NASCAR...
Cap, that license plate is great ^^
I'm with you on wondering why people are so uptight when they drive. Someone told me once they thought the best way to get a feel for another persons ethics was to watch how they drive. I tend to believe that.
Glad u like my "happy" plates, Dave:-). I TOTALLY agree w/ getting to know so much about a person by riding with them. I didn't want to "go there" - but that has been one of the ways I determine if a man is "worthy";-). lol!
Post a Comment